DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   Affordable/Home Made boom pole? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/3065-affordable-home-made-boom-pole.html)

Wayde Gardner August 7th, 2002 07:22 AM

Affordable/Home Made boom pole?

Any experince or suggestions in boom poles? I understand that some folks have used a variety of painter extension poles, light bulb changing poles, etc. Any thoughts or can a boom pole be bought at a reasonable price.

What kind of mount would you use on the home made versions.

Wayde Gardner

*** Still looking for crew for Tin Can Shinny, shooting in Dallas Spring of 2003***

Adrian Douglas August 8th, 2002 06:59 AM

Does this mean your retiring your hockey stick Wayde?

Wayde Gardner August 8th, 2002 07:21 AM

Passed the stick...

LOL!!!

Yes, I've passed the stick onto my son who trashed it in oh, 5 minutes.
However...

I did manage to build my own dolly from some large swiveled pnuematic tires and some scrap angle iron. Works very well on the rough road.

I'm wondering how you might attach the mic to a makeshift boom.

Ralph Keyser August 8th, 2002 12:59 PM

The every popular gaffer's tape works great.
Duct tape works too, but it's much easier to clean up after gaffer tape. Basically, you can just tape the mic to any pole you have handy - boom handles, pvc conduit, etc.
Wrap the cable around the pole and tape it down in a few spots as well.

The problems with this are:
1) transmitted noise. Any shake or vibration gets transmitted to the mic. Some creativity with high-density foam might help with this.
2) it's awkward. The long pole you need for a wide outdoor shot is not the pole you need for an indoor shoot.

Paul Sedillo August 8th, 2002 02:19 PM

I've read here on the forum that several members are using extension painting poles. This sounds like a possibility. If wrapped with foam, I think this might do the trick. Plus you can get them for a very reasonable price.

B. Moore August 11th, 2002 12:07 AM

The pole I use ia one that extends over 16ft. On the end I use a paint roller handle holder. It's yellow, has an elbow in the middle with a tightening screw, And the mount for my shotgun mic screws right on the end. works great !

bruce

B. Moore August 11th, 2002 02:34 PM

Wgardner,

Check my post of july 19th in the open dicussion, boom poles

bruce

B. Daley August 14th, 2002 03:36 PM

cheap boom pole

I have been told that anything can work as long as it holds the mic and doesn't make noise. I have used a painter extension, as have some of my friends and they work great. The one that we use in the office I work in, I made by taking a mic clamp, hooking it on the end of the pole with the end that would normally hold the mic, secure it with a good amount of electrical tape, then screw in a double ended mic thread (5/8 inch) halfway, then screw in a shock mount halfway on the other end until tight. Once the mic is attached, we just tape the cord to the pole with gaffer tape and it is perfectly silent.

I hope this helps even if it is kid of confusing.