Affordable/Home Made boom pole? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old August 7th, 2002, 07:22 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Affordable/Home Made boom pole?

Any experince or suggestions in boom poles? I understand that some folks have used a variety of painter extension poles, light bulb changing poles, etc. Any thoughts or can a boom pole be bought at a reasonable price.

What kind of mount would you use on the home made versions.

Wayde Gardner

*** Still looking for crew for Tin Can Shinny, shooting in Dallas Spring of 2003***
Wayde Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2002, 06:59 AM   #2
Trustee

Does this mean your retiring your hockey stick Wayde?
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2002, 07:21 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Passed the stick...

LOL!!!

Yes, I've passed the stick onto my son who trashed it in oh, 5 minutes.
However...

I did manage to build my own dolly from some large swiveled pnuematic tires and some scrap angle iron. Works very well on the rough road.

I'm wondering how you might attach the mic to a makeshift boom.
Wayde Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2002, 12:59 PM   #4
Major Player

The every popular gaffer's tape works great.
Duct tape works too, but it's much easier to clean up after gaffer tape. Basically, you can just tape the mic to any pole you have handy - boom handles, pvc conduit, etc.
Wrap the cable around the pole and tape it down in a few spots as well.

The problems with this are:
1) transmitted noise. Any shake or vibration gets transmitted to the mic. Some creativity with high-density foam might help with this.
2) it's awkward. The long pole you need for a wide outdoor shot is not the pole you need for an indoor shoot.
Ralph Keyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2002, 02:19 PM   #5
Major Player

I've read here on the forum that several members are using extension painting poles. This sounds like a possibility. If wrapped with foam, I think this might do the trick. Plus you can get them for a very reasonable price.
Houston, Texas
Paul Sedillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2002, 12:07 AM   #6
Major Player

The pole I use ia one that extends over 16ft. On the end I use a paint roller handle holder. It's yellow, has an elbow in the middle with a tightening screw, And the mount for my shotgun mic screws right on the end. works great !

bruce
B. Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2002, 02:34 PM   #7
Major Player

Wgardner,

Check my post of july 19th in the open dicussion, boom poles

bruce
B. Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2002, 03:36 PM   #8
B. Daley

cheap boom pole

I have been told that anything can work as long as it holds the mic and doesn't make noise. I have used a painter extension, as have some of my friends and they work great. The one that we use in the office I work in, I made by taking a mic clamp, hooking it on the end of the pole with the end that would normally hold the mic, secure it with a good amount of electrical tape, then screw in a double ended mic thread (5/8 inch) halfway, then screw in a shock mount halfway on the other end until tight. Once the mic is attached, we just tape the cord to the pole with gaffer tape and it is perfectly silent.

I hope this helps even if it is kid of confusing.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog