DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   Samson Micro 32 UHF Wireless and Light Wave System Isolator (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/30774-samson-micro-32-uhf-wireless-light-wave-system-isolator.html)

Tim Dewell August 20th, 2004 04:17 PM

Samson Micro 32 UHF Wireless and Light Wave System Isolator

What a week! I recieved a Light Wave System Isolator for my XL1s. The weight redistribution is excellent, but I am not keen on the stress it puts on the evf cable, thus making it unusable. A couple of days ago, I wrote to Canon and Light Wave for suggestions, with no replies so far. An extender of some sort (cable or turnaround) would be nice. I've seen some posts here, but nothing specific.

I recieved a Samson Micro 32 wireless kit ($475, diversity, UHF, 32 channels, with lav and hand-held mic) from a well-known New York dealer. (Incidentally, you can't use both mics at the same time.) However, the only thing inside the box that was truly sealed was the lav mic. The XLR audio cable plastic bag was stapled once. Everything else was in open plastic sleeves. And despite an excellent packing job and no damage to the UPS delivery box, the bottom right corner of the non-shrink wrapped product box is slightly crushed, like it was dropped. (Thankfully the gear was in a plastic carrying case.) I have not yet had a chance to test the equipment. Last night, I wrote to the dealer and Samson to see if it's normal to have mostly non-sealed components and no shrink wrapping. (Making it an open box, return, or demo unit, as opposed to new?) You guessed it, no replies so far...

Christopher Reynolds August 20th, 2004 05:03 PM

Sorry to hear that Tim, I know how frightening it can be when purchasing sensitive and expensive equipment and having it shipped to you. I have been through a few computer components arriving at my door in "questionable" condition. I have never had a problem with anything being damaged thus far. Audio equipment tends to be rather rugged (I've tortured mine to death in rain without protection) but I have no experience with wireless units. I hope your investment is safe and sound (no pun intended). Good luck.

Tim Dewell September 3rd, 2004 03:39 PM

Samson wrote back and said their products aren't sealed! As for the NY mail order retailer, they danced around a bit, but rather quickly gave me a Return Authorization to swap out the gear! However, I decided to keep the kit, (despite the box) as it works fine. (Time, hassle, shipping cost, insurance, ya know?) And Samson told me that even though there was no registration info inside the box, they would honor the warranty with my retail receipt.

As for my System Isolator situation, today Canon responded...

>>> Thank you for your inquiry on the XL1s.

Unfortunately, we do not have an extension cable or workaround available for this issue.

Please feel free to contact us if you have any further questions or
concerns.

Thank you for choosing Canon. <<<

I guess I'll just unplug the evf when not in use...

Nathan Gifford September 8th, 2004 10:12 AM

The system isolator is a nice device except for the problem you have noted. I find the Mini-Mount to be a better investment as it cut down on almost all noise in quiet situations.

The downside is you still have some of the problems with stretched cables, however, you can reverse the mic in the MM and get just enough cable slack.

You can also use your wireless mic on the XL-1 with the on board mic by putting the XL-1 into 4-track mode. The only limitation is that audio resolution is is somewhat reduced.