DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   XL1 / XL1S focus hunting backfocus problems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/31-xl1-xl1s-focus-hunting-backfocus-problems.html)

Chris Hurd April 3rd, 2002 07:33 AM

Howdy from Texas,

<< does the software update address the "focus jump" and the "soft focus" issue? >>

In most (but not all) cases, yes. It is well worth sending the camera and lens in to Canon service, especially if they've never been before.

Charles Papert April 3rd, 2002 01:12 PM

<<<we used ND filtering to achieve wide open iris.>>>

And there it is. I apologize for ever doubting Neville's technique!

It was probably a knee-jerk reaction to having to go up against all those engineers over the years that insisted on having faces pinned at 70 IRE, or freaking out when I lit anyone to a greater than 2:1 ratio etc...the old "rules" of video!

sweeper7 April 4th, 2002 05:36 AM

<<<--It was probably a knee-jerk reaction to having to go up against all those engineers over the years that insisted on having faces pinned at 70 IRE, or freaking out when I lit anyone to a greater than 2:1 ratio etc...the old "rules" of video! -->>>

Ah, another "oldtimer".....I too remember butting heads with the engineering brotherhood but am thankful for that experience today! Too few in the "new rules" video world understand and appreciate the value of a waveform and vectorscope.

John Klein April 5th, 2002 01:32 AM

Peter Koller - Just to be sure the Wt. Bal. was done ok? You said you hit the WT balance button. Did you push, hold and wait to see that the white balance took effect?

I know that manual white balancing works great for me. I also know that AWB, while inaccurate, does indeed add a nice bit of warmth. But to me it is odd to see a pink skin tone that reaches the limit of detail without being 100% white.

Ken Tanaka April 5th, 2002 12:15 PM

* Split Thread Notice *

Just a note to let y'all know that I split-out the vectorscope discussion to a new thread in "General DV" titled "Vectorscopes & Waveform Monitors".

ja135321 April 11th, 2002 06:34 PM

why cant I manually focus my auto16x?

Can anyone tell me why I can't focus an obect that is 4 inches from the camera lens at full zoom? I switch it to the green box and it focuses easily when its switch to manual and I turn the lens, its all a blur? I can turn endlessly and nothing. When I used the AF button, it just jumps back and forth and never focuses.

Adrian Douglas April 11th, 2002 10:03 PM

4 inches is too close for the lens to focus. I think the min focus distance is about 30cm(12")

Also manual focus is not available in Green Box Mode

ja135321 April 11th, 2002 11:16 PM

I know that in green box you cant manual focus. But If I switch it to green box it will focus. And according to the manual on page 120, the min focus distance is 13/16 inch or 2cm. Besides even if I'm 3 feet away and try to focus in on some text like the word Sony on the television I can't seem to turn the ring enough to get it to focus. Is this problem resolved with the manual focus lense?

Ed Frazier April 11th, 2002 11:44 PM

I just did a quick test with mine and am able to manually focus on small objects that are touching the edge of the lens hood without any problem.

ja135321 April 12th, 2002 10:53 AM

lens?

Ed which camera and lens do you have?

ja135321 April 12th, 2002 11:20 AM

lens

I have to get a wide angle lens. If the camera is zoomed out fully, or in telephoto it will not focus on an object even 2 feet away. Physics.

John Klein April 12th, 2002 04:41 PM

I recall on my sony that macro required a wider focal length. I'm pretty sure that 's the same with the canon. So I think it's inherent in many lenses. Back off the zoom a little and see if you can get by. You should be able to get very close using a wider setting.

Ed Frazier April 12th, 2002 04:51 PM

My lens is the standard 16X that came with the XL1S. In my test, I was at a wide setting.

Don Palomaki April 13th, 2002 08:41 AM

Minimum focus distance with the standard 16x servo zoom lens will depend on the zoomsetting.

From the Canon XL lens specification: At full zoom the minimum subject distance is 1 meter, at full wide angle setting it is 20 mm. Smalller apertures will give more depth of field which may translate to usable focus even closer.

If you need to get to use full zoom for a macro-like shot at some distance, (e.g., for stand off distance) get a close-up adapter set, about $75 in the required 72mm size by Hoya or Tiffen. If you need higher quality, consider the achromatic diopters from Century. With the +2 you can zoom to fill the frame with a postage stamp at about 18 inches distance.

John Klein April 14th, 2002 11:25 PM

If memory serves me, I seem to remember the AF trying to focus on the dust on the lens itself. If so, maybe there is some truth to green mode allowing a different focus system for some reason. Dust on the lens is closer than 20 mm. But I would think that less than an inch should provide adequate macro shooting, hey?