XL1S, etc -TAPE EATING ISSUE IS BIGGER THEN I THOUGHT at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old November 10th, 2001, 01:46 PM   #1
Regular Crew

XL1S, etc -TAPE EATING ISSUE IS BIGGER THEN I THOUGHT

There is link below to a ongoing thread on www.DV.com forum. This tape eating problem that is happening to the XL1S is not just isolated to the XL1S. I know one thing, I have shot with many XL1 orginals since it first came out and owned 3 of them and have had many more loaned to me. Not once have I ever had a tape related problem either. Now the XL1S tape transport is all brand new and this problem has started. It doesn't take Columbo to figure this one out. I have to put off my XL1S purchase now until I believe it's safe to buy one.

I recommend that anyone wanting to buy the XL1S, don't unless you want to gamble. I would wait to see if Canon says anything. They are a good company and I suspect it will get worked out.

Michael Pappas
Arrfilms@hotmail.com

Here is the link to the ongoing thread:
http://www.dv.com/db_area/community/Forum2/HTML/002671.html
Michael Pappas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2001, 12:05 AM   #2
Tourist

I have a XL-1S and have had no problems with it eating tapes.
irock@mac.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2001, 12:09 AM   #3
New Boot

I wouldn't go that far.

But I'd be prepared to get it serviced after you buy it. Anything I buy anymore I halfway expect to send it back for service. If it's a flaw that got missed fine if they fix it fast and it works after that. And so far everyone has gotten their cameras back in good working order. It wouldn't have changed my purchase even if I knew there was a chance...it's not that big deal to me to get it back a week later repaired.
MrGranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2001, 08:06 AM   #4
Wrangler

The first batch/lot of any new product shipped always has a few issues that Beta teting did not iron out. That was the case with the XL1, PD150, WINDOWS all versions, and the beat goes on.

Often best to buy when the third lot shipps.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2001, 08:54 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Hello Don! When do you think a third lot would be? I am just looking for a guess....

michael pappas

<<<-- Originally posted by dpalomaki : The first batch/lot of any new product shipped always has a few issues that Beta teting did not iron out. That was the case with the XL1, PD150, WINDOWS all versions, and the beat goes on.

Often best to buy when the third lot shipps. -->>>
Michael Pappas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2001, 11:35 AM   #6
Wrangler

Your guess is probably better than mine given that you are closer to major Canon dealers who migh track these sorts of issues. With the XL1 most manufacturing problems (e.g., the lines) were identified and rsolved within a few months.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2001, 07:10 PM   #7
Tourist

How do you tell what lot the XL1s is from? Mine is sofar OK works great but I was woundering. Did I get a good deal at $3250
irock@mac.com is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog