How do you rate a used XL1s? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old August 28th, 2004, 01:29 AM   #1
Major Player

How do you rate a used XL1s?

Hi.
Somebody is trying to sel me a used Xl1s. And thats is OK, since they are throwing a years waranty into the deal.
They state that the camera has around 10 hours of usage, but to me it has either been 10 rough hours, or they are being somewhar conservative in their stament.
But is there a usage counter on a XL1s, like on Sonys? Drum hours?

Kind regards

JOS. Svendsen
Jos Svendsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2004, 06:44 AM   #2
Warden

No, there is no hour counters on the XL1/s cameras. The visual condition is about all you can go by.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2004, 02:02 AM   #3
Major Player

OK - I was hoping for a hidden maintenence menu.
I have been examining the unit very closely for wear and tear. The Tripod mount seems ok, it has been used, but not much. Alle connectors are fine. No rattling sounds and all mecanical parts are working smootly.
There is a bit of bruised rubber coating on the iris-knob, but is seems to be from the camera being transported in a bag and this protruding little ting rubbing against something.

Anything in particular I should look for?

Kind regards

JOS. Svendsen
Old August 29th, 2004, 04:04 AM   #4
Regular Crew

If you are getting a years warranty and a good price and the dealer is well known then whats the problem. If there are any faults they should show up pretty quickly.
Will they let you run a tape through as a trial so you can see the results, that way you can see if it records okay?
With the new XLS2 now available the new prices for the XL1s are going to drop anyway.

<<< They state that the camera has around 10 hours of usage, but to me it has either been 10 rough hours, or they are being somewhar conservative in their stament. >>>
What makes you say that? I know some people who have had a camera for just one short recording session and then sold it on. What makes you think the usage has been rough? The marks you mention could be picked up in transit.
There is only you who can make the decision. I wouldn't personally use the forum as a 2nd opinion for condition of buying a used item, but certainly for reviews and previous knowledge. It seems to me, that you have decided you want this camera, but just need back up to make the purchase. If it works and the warranties good, buy it. If you suspect it may be dodgy, leave it.
Good luck..!
Carl Walters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2004, 05:24 AM   #5
Major Player

I have no problems with the dealer, and they are willing to let me test the camera. Nice guys.

But I have to do a bit of dealing pricewise, as the camera has been preowned by an ad agency, and they have sort of lost the shoulderpad, the charger and the lenscap. The camera has been used for minor projects. But I can see that it has been a trip to Bangkok (airport stickers on the box), so I am trying to get ammunition for the great price negociation - Missing parts replaced and a free trip to Canon repair.

The whole deal stated because my XM1 broke down and needed a 800 $ repair, so they came up with the idea of upgrading to this preowned XL1s. I like the idea, but I just want to be get the best possible deal.

Kind regards

JOS. Svendsen
Old September 2nd, 2004, 08:54 AM   #6
Major Player

When you test it, have it connected to a video monitor. Don't trust the viewfinder only. Dead pixels are very dificult to see in the viewfinder, but you can spot them in a video monitor.

Good luck on your buy.
Arnaldo
Arnaldo Paixao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2004, 01:48 AM   #7
Major Player

Yupiie - I've bought it.

Little Canosawa is now mine. Neclected he has been sitting on shelf in a now defunct ad agency, but now he is been nursed in a nice warm Tenba bag. Cleaned and charged

Since my XM1 broke, I was sort of saving up for a XM3. But having shot a lot of Betacam in the past, I am now wondering how I ever managed to live with a consumer cam. Not that the XM1 was bad, but it did not have a soul. And the XL1s is a classic camcorder.

I do a lot of alternative video, so the 16:9 suits me fine, the noiselevels are very acceptable for me and the camera works like a charm. And the price was OK, especially as one of the productions actually made some money.

Next cam for me will be a HDV in three years time, where the prices will have dropped to SD-level. But until then, little Canosawa and me will discover the world.

JOS. Svendsen
Jos Svendsen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog