DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   Boom pole cable question... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/3123-boom-pole-cable-question.html)

Christine Noguere August 10th, 2002 08:29 AM

Boom pole cable question...

Hello everyone,

My sound gear is arriving (got my XL 1s two weeks ago) and my Lightwave boom pole came unwired (though I ordered it wired with straight cable.) Rather than send it back, I figured I would just wire it myself. Any preferences on straight or coiled cable out there? Any tricks I need to know about keeping cable noise down? All advice would be greatly appreciated.

Christine

Al Osmond August 10th, 2002 02:20 PM

I've had good experiences with Klotz straight cable -- purpose-designed, soft, tactile, rubbery material about ¼" diameter -- and letting the fishpole operator work out her own methods of keeping the cable tidy where it runs down the pole. As long as it is secured with clips or whatever so it can't flap around against the boom it will be OK.

Al

Christine Noguere August 10th, 2002 02:41 PM

Hi Al,

Thanks for your reply. I wasn't familiar with the Klotz name, so I just took a gander at their website. Looks like a fine high end cable (lots of kudos from guitar players, too), only problem is that they don't seem to have a U.S. importer. I think I may have to be content with something I can get over on this side of the pond.

All the best,

Christine

Al Osmond August 10th, 2002 03:11 PM

Hi, Christine

Yes, I guess Klotz is high-end cable, I must have bought when I was feeling particularly rich...

I've just been digging in an audio supplier's catalogue for alternatives -- excellent bathroom reading -- and there's no shortage of cables available over here, with or without XLR connectors, so you should find something suitable. Best of luck!

Getting back to curly cables, they can be a pain in the rear as the extra weight tends to bang against the boom if not properly secured -- and the need to secure the cable in several places would seem to some extent to defeat the object of having a curly cable in the first place.

Al

Christine Noguere August 10th, 2002 03:30 PM

Hey Al,

I probably didn't make myself clear enough in my initial question. The Lightwave boom pole is designed to have the cable inside -it's hollow - so I won't have to secure the wire on the outside. Thanks again.

Christine

B. Moore August 10th, 2002 07:57 PM

Hello Christine,
If the wire /cable goes thru the inside its openings must be large enough to fit the XLR connector thru. If this is the situation may I suggest you create what I would call grummets (rubber circles, the wire would go thru, to isolate the wire from touching the inside of the tube) to prevent any sound from rubbing or bumping from being transfered to the cable.

If you run the cable up the outside , as I do ( makes storing the cable seperately a lot easier and more compact), I use the device women use on their hair when they make a pony tail. I don't know what they're called . They have a plastic ball an each end of a double strand elastic type cord. The balls can act as a directional to tell you which direction the mic is pointing. They're cheap, replaceable, multi-functional, and very available.

I also can connect my UHF wireless transmitter and shotgun mic with the same connectors to my boom pole.

I hope this may help you

Bruce

P.S. If there was a big price difference between the two poles, I'd ask for a check for the difference since it was their mistake.

Christine Noguere August 11th, 2002 02:40 PM

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for your detailed answer to my query. You certainly have figured out a unique way to use pony tail holders! As I actually have a pony tail, there are a few dozen of these around my house anyway.

I think I've confused everybody about the Lightwave boom pole. If you want to see it, go to www.lightwavesystems.com. What I intend to do is put the cable through the pole and then afterwards, solder the XLR connector at the mic mount end. Doesn't seem like rocket science, but I did want to get people's take on the straight or coiled cable preference. Fortunately, they didn't charge me for the wired one, they just seemed to get the order mixed up.

All the best,

Christine

B. Moore August 11th, 2002 10:53 PM

Hello Christine,
I went to the web site and boy am I in the wrong business, uncabled $178+WOW!

The one I built (not my original idea) came from Computer Videomaker magazine. WWW.videomaker.com
They had an article about 2 yrs. ago, on the whole concept. If you don't already get the mag I highly recommend it.

If you go to googles and look for Boom Basics from
www.dvlive.com/magazine/2000/0300/boombasics0300.html
They have a similar article.
There are a lot of good tips on boom use.

If you solder the XLR connector to the tip of the pole, how movable will the actual shotgun mic be?I'd do a lot of testing with the hair balls first and see how much slack I'd need and when you're done shooting , how do you roll up your cable to store it? Once you make it permanent it's too late.
Good luck
Bruce

Christine Noguere August 12th, 2002 08:46 AM

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for links. I've already been devouring Jay Rose's fine book on sound for dv, and I see that he is one of the regular columnists on the dvlive site. And there were the handy "hairballs" in living color.

I know I have to determine how much slack I'll need to accomodate the mic and shock mount that I'm using - the connector won't be on the tip of the pole itself. Yes, I know what you mean about being in the wrong business, but when I saw that this pole telescopes from 30" to 9'8" and only weighed 30 ounces, I couldn't pass it up. Now I have to get some work to pay for all this stuff... :-)

Christine

B. Moore August 12th, 2002 05:14 PM

Christine,
I know the (lack of) weight is a really great selling point. BUT I being the camera man, hire gorillas, who can follow directions, and work for bananas!