DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   Slow Shutter Speeds in Frame Mode (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/316-slow-shutter-speeds-frame-mode.html)

Adrian Douglas November 11th, 2001 04:21 AM

Slow Shutter Speeds in Frame Mode

Does anybody know if it's possible to activate the Slow Shutter Speeds in Frame Mode on the XL1. It works in Normal but not in Frame Mode, is there a secret trick like the colour bars?

Chris Hurd November 20th, 2001 08:26 AM

Sorry Adrian, not possible! I suppose I should add this to the FAQ.

Adrian Douglas November 21st, 2001 04:54 AM

DOH!!!!!!

Oh well, just have to shoot that scene interlaced, with the slow shutter speed, I don't think anyone will notice the difference, it's only a couple of secs.

Rob Lohman November 21st, 2001 05:21 AM

Chris... what is this? Are you saying that you cannot
change the shutter speed whilst in frame movie mode?
Why is this? This is very worrying...

Don Palomaki November 21st, 2001 06:11 AM

I believe that frame mode loses meaning at shutter speeds that are slower than the field rate. You should be able to change shutter speeds in frame mode as long as you are not in the digital effects slow shutter speeds.

Chris Hurd November 21st, 2001 07:19 AM

Rob,

Read carefully what Don explains just above... of course you can adjust the normal shutter control (the round dial) while in Frame Movie mode... but you will not have access to the digital effect slow shutter speeds. That's what we're talking about. Hope this helps,

Adrian Douglas November 21st, 2001 08:39 AM

Put reaL shutter speeds on the XL2 wish list, not just digital effects. 1/6th of a second is slow enough, but make it an actual Manual Mode shutter speed, not a Auto mode effect

Rob Lohman November 21st, 2001 01:51 PM

hmmm... okay... that sounds better.... what is the
range of the "non-digital/effects" shutter? From where
to where does it go? Thx again chris! :)

Regards,

Chris Hurd November 21st, 2001 02:02 PM

Rob,

I always encourage people to do their own research -- it is better remembered that way -- see "XL1S Specifications" link at http://www.dvinfo.net/xl1s.htm -- full info there for shutter speeds and other specs. Hope this helps,

Don Palomaki November 21st, 2001 06:38 PM

I believe that all slow shutters (slower than field rate) are digital effects. The only question is whether or not the manufacturere chooses to call them digital effects, and whether or not other in-camera effects can be overlaid. That is because the data for each field has to be buffered (stored) and read later - because no matter the shutter speed, the field rate remained fixed per the video format. While fast shutter speeds can be streamed, slow shutters may have to be repeated while the next 'snap' is 'exposing' the CCD.

Rob Lohman November 22nd, 2001 02:33 AM

Chris,

I'd like to look too, but sometimes work is too busy :) ...
I followed your link but could not find the information!
Either i'm not looking good (heh) or it's not on that page...
Sorry... i don't have the time (at this moment) too scan
your whole site... Does anyoen have this information in
there heads? (which range the shutter is without going
into an "Effect")...

Thanks!

Don Palomaki November 22nd, 2001 08:27 AM

You should find that shutter speeds 1/30 and slower are effects (perhaps accomplished by field doubling on many machines), 1/60 and above are not effects. At slow shutter speeds the motion blurr associated with the slow shutter speed is probably as bad or worse then interlace effects would be at normal shutter speeds.

Chris Hurd November 22nd, 2001 09:12 AM

Rob, I don't have a whole lot of time either! ;-)
Shutter speeds are 1/60 to 1/15,000.

Adrian Douglas November 22nd, 2001 08:40 PM

On the PAL version standard shutter speeds are 1/50 to 1/16000

Joe Redifer November 23rd, 2001 01:48 AM

I find that the shutter speed effect of 1/30 simulates the Frame mode almost exactly, only brighter. Pans look the same as far as smoothness/unsmoothness are concerned. There is no motion between fields. Image quality still fantastic. Basically the same to me.

Is there any visual difference between the 1/30 shutter mode and frame mode besides the perceived increase in luminance?