DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   Canon 3x wide angle lens questions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/31641-canon-3x-wide-angle-lens-questions.html)

Kat Dalton February 6th, 2002 04:20 PM

Thanks Ken, Chris, Adam, and Joe for your help.

Best,
Kat

Peter Koller February 20th, 2002 09:52 AM

Image: 16x manual vs 3x wideangle

Does anybody use both, the new 16x manual lens and the 3x wideangle lens?

Can you tell a difference in the image? The auto-lenses (16x, 3x)are both a little soft. How about the manul lens?

Vic Owen February 20th, 2002 09:47 PM

Peter--

Read the string titled 16X Manual lens started by donbarzini a few days ago-- it might answer your questions. There was mention of both lenses in the string.

Danielisok March 11th, 2002 05:04 AM

Canon 3X wide angle lens...need info!

I'm new to working with the Canon XL1s camera and equipment so, I'm in the learning stage. My question: I could purchase a used wide angle lens and save money, or get a new one. Would rather save $$$ and get everything used. Any difference at all in the lens. Thanks!!!

John Locke March 11th, 2002 05:56 AM

Hi Daniel,

If I understand you correctly, you're wondering if there have been significant changes in the Canon 3X lens in recent years? Not to my knowledge. As far as I know, it's been the same lens from day one...but I can't say for 100% certain. Hopefully, one of the others will jump in here and confirm whether that's correct.

As far as buying used equipment goes, the best thing to do is pop a tape in and try it out. Even better, hook it up to a television, if possible, since that will give you a much clearer image to judge. And be sure to try out everything you possibly can...audio inputs, gain, the works. And as far as the 3X lens is concerned, if everything feels snug, and there are no scratches on the front or rear lenses, and the image is fine...go for it.

Danielisok March 11th, 2002 05:54 PM

John, thanks for your imput. Your information confirms what I was feeling. Hopefully I'll be able to get more of a confirmation by someone else reading my questions. Hey...have a good move, and thanks again.

Jacques Mersereau March 17th, 2002 10:45 AM

If you need a wide angle, everyone who has purchased a 3X loves it. Me TOO!

Q) Why would someone sell a used 3X?
A) Either they dumped their whole XL1 rig or it is damaged.

I'd go with new unless you can carefully examine and try it out first.

Ken Tanaka March 17th, 2002 11:44 PM

I'd be inclined to agree with Jacques. Since there is no substitute for the 3x wide lens the only situation under which I could imagine finding a used lens is if someone was liquidating their whole kit. (You could only pry mine from my cold, dead hand <g>.)

I certainly understand wanting to save money but unless you know the seller and the lens I'd just get a new one and get the full warranty period from Canon.

Ozzie Alfonso March 18th, 2002 04:20 PM

We've been using the 3x in tandem with the 16x for the last week. Compared to the 16x, the 3x is MUCH sharper and brighter. Yesterday we were able to borrow a second 16x from a friend for the duration of the shoot. We found the discrepancy in the sharpness and brightness of the two lenses to be too great.

The 3x is a great lens. My only picky gripe is I wish it were a little longer, say a 4x or 5x. The 3x can't be beat as a wide angle but it's too limited to get a closeup unless you're practically on top of your subject in which case, if it's a person, any forward movement tends to distort. It would be great to be able to zoom from a wide 3 shot to a tight closeup. With the 3x, if you're on a 3 shot and try to zoom in for the close up the best you can expect is an MCU.

Peter Koller April 26th, 2002 07:40 AM

Push me!

Okay, guys!

Convince me. I am almost ready to spend the $1200 for the wide-angle-lens.

Just need a few punches and pushes to really DO it. I wanna buy it.
Tell me how good it is! Tell me it is all I ever needed!

Make me believe there is no better way to spend all that money!

the consume-hungry Peter :-))

Adrian Douglas April 26th, 2002 08:55 AM

OK Peter, here goes.

If you find yourself back inthe snow shooting some snowboarding, the 3x lens is fantastic for getting close to all the big air and halfpipe action.

For me that all the pushing I'd need, it's definately on my list.

Chris Hurd April 26th, 2002 09:10 AM

When shooting close-up interviews, the 3x lens will improve your audio. You can get closer to your subject with this lens, which gets the on-board mic closer, improving your audio.

Adam Wakely April 28th, 2002 12:02 PM

I do weddings and switch back and forth all day between the 3x & 16x lens. The 3x is excellent for landscape shots to a small room with no where to move. The other great thing is that it is a working zoom lens so there is room to zoom in and out a bit! (not like an attatchment wide angle which you can't zoom through).

Get it! You won't be sorry!

Don Palomaki April 29th, 2002 04:05 PM

One plus with a zoom-thorugh close-up adapter you spend less time swapping lenses between the 3x and 16x because you effectively get a 16x range that just wider (not as telephoto).

Peter Koller April 30th, 2002 03:33 AM

I did it. I did it. Itīs on the way to me. Oh, my god how am I gonna live until it arrives.....? :-)))

Thanks for the pushing, guys!

Cheers,