DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   Canon 3x wide angle lens questions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/31641-canon-3x-wide-angle-lens-questions.html)

John Locke January 3rd, 2004 12:23 PM

Bob,

I tend to use the 3X lens more than the 16X. I definitely recommend it.

Rick Bravo January 4th, 2004 10:27 PM

3X is a must have for the XL series.

RB

Bob Safay January 7th, 2004 05:44 PM

OK, I picked it up last night. You guys were right. It sure is a nice hunk of glass. Thanks for the input. Bob

Rafal Krolik January 9th, 2004 11:16 AM

Bob, can you recommend the place you bought it from? I am looking for one but the brand new retail price is a bit hard to swallow if you can get an honest deal on a used one.

Bob Safay January 9th, 2004 04:27 PM

Rafal, it is a camera shop in Atlanta called Showcase. I have been dealing with them for 14 years. Excellant reputation. This is the first 3X that I have seen there. They usually do not handle used equipment much that was why I was so surprized. I will keep a look out in the Atlanta area for you. Bob

Rafal Krolik January 9th, 2004 04:53 PM

Thanks a lot Bob. Don't worry though, being the obsessive compulsive type ( this is my wife's opinion ) I will probably get it from BH ( USING LINK FROM THIS SITE :-) ).
Thanks again for your answer.

Andreas Fernbrant January 27th, 2004 05:58 AM

3X and 16X

I'm about to buy a fisheye for my lens from Century Optics. But they have 2 diffrent kinds. One for the 3X and one for the 16x lens. I emailed them and asked if it was the same fisheye. They said the fisheye for the 3X would fit both. What I can't figre ut is how a bayonet monted fisheye can fith on both, the 3X and 16x lens if you buy the 3X version. But only fits the 16x if you buy the 16x.

So I wonder, for those of you that have both these lenses, are the mount any diffrent on the 3X? (lens shade) from the bayonet mount on the 16x?

Adrian Douglas January 27th, 2004 07:07 AM

They should both physically fit on each lens. I think what they are refering to is that if you put the fisheye for the 16x lens on the 3x you will get vignetting due to the 3x lens's wider angle of view. I've seen the 3x hood on a 16x lens, why I don't know, but it was on there.

Ken Tanaka January 27th, 2004 11:48 AM

All of the Canon XL lenses share the same accessory thread diameter: 72mm. So I suspect that Century meant that you will be able to mount their lens on either lens.

Given the extreme wide-angle nature of a fish-eye lens I doubt that you will be using a hood at all with this accessory mountd on either lens.

Andreas Fernbrant January 27th, 2004 12:14 PM

So if I understand correct,

1. Bayonet mount is when you use the mount where you usually mount your lenshood. The fisheye use a bayonet mounting system so it should fit where the lenshood usually goes? Pretty logical.

2. Both the 3X and 16x could share the same lenshood?

I can't figure out why they should have one for the 16x and one for the 3x as they list on their homepage. When I emailed and asked them, they said the one for the 3X would fith both lenses but it seems that one for the 16x won't go on to the 3X.

So that's why I'm confused, because if the lenshood mount is the same on both leneses there would be no problem.

Chris Hurd January 27th, 2004 01:13 PM

Due to the wide field of view on the 3x, you would see the edges of the 16x lens hood in frame if you used it on the 3x. That's why they're telling you not to do it -- and that's why the 3x lens hood has such an exotic tulip shape. Hope this helps,

Don Libby January 31st, 2004 09:39 AM

I just ordered a used 3x from B&H for 899. While not in the same price as $600 it's still cheaper than full new price of $1,200 and I trust B&H. Go to the web site and see for your self

Jack Xiong February 21st, 2004 04:12 PM

what are some of the situations where you would use a Canon 3X lens?

Rafal Krolik February 21st, 2004 04:23 PM

Jack, 3x is a wide angle lens so it would be good for situation where you need to grab a little more in the frame without having to luxury of distance. Plus I am sure there are a whole bunch of other creative situations.

Don Palomaki February 22nd, 2004 06:37 AM

Some situations:
Indoor birthday party
First dance
Small room
Wide shot of ball game