4 hour problem ( WTF ?) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old September 9th, 2004, 08:01 PM   #1
Regular Crew

4 hour problem?

Hey guys. I went to shoot an interview and I kept having the following problems with my XL1s:
1. I would zoom in and the camera would promptly zoom out on its own
2. When I pressed the record button, I was at times unable to pause the camera and the only way was to flip it to off position.
3. I tried both lenses and all got the same issues in both instances

I managed to finish my shoot and came home with a big knot in my throat, plugged the camera to the outlet and started looking for answers. I found a message in which someone mentiones batteries so I tried my camera while it was still connected directly to the outlet and now everything works normal. I than put the battery in and things still work fine.
I have been using these batteries for about six months now and would hate to think that it had anything to do with batteries.

Did any of you experience such a thing before and if you did could you tell me what it ended up being?
Thanks.
Rafal Krolik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2004, 10:16 AM   #2
Wrangler

Have you tried using the remote control and see if it is repeatable?

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2004, 10:42 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Nathan. No I haven't. I didn't even think about it, but will try tonight. I was just thinking that as an electronic device, software driven, maybe something happened equivalent to a OS crash and that somehow I "rebooted" the camera. Strange.
Old September 10th, 2004, 02:05 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I can think of two possible areas to check. One might be a sticking button or switch. I can't test it on my XL1s (in for repair) but if one button is stuck down it may disable the other one (such as your record button). Also if your memory backup battery has a problem maybe that could be an issue. Check if you still have all your presets (white balance and time and date). Just a couple of ideas - i don't think you want that to happen again. Intermittant problems make me twitch...
Old September 12th, 2004, 01:07 PM   #5
Major Player

"Did any of you experience such a thing before and if you did could you tell me what it ended up being"

I was trying to zoom in on a white card one time and my XL1s refused after several tries. Pushed for time I reluctantly used auto WB. This was months ago and it has never happened since though (so may be no biggie).
Randy
G. Randy Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2004, 04:37 AM   #6
Major Player

Rafal,

Was there heavy RF in the vicinity of the cam?
Old September 13th, 2004, 06:33 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Hey, thanks to all for the input but the new development is such. TRhe footage I show while the camera was having a problem is fine but the audio portion is completely useless. Alsmost as if there was a HUGE electric interference. Also the camera is back to zooming in and zooming out on its own so I guess it will have to go in for repairs. WHY ME GOD !!!!!!!!
I wouldn't be so bummed out but I have my directorial debut this Wednesday and really wanted to film it. Gues I'll have to swallow my prive and pull out the old TRV 140 :-(
Old September 13th, 2004, 06:36 AM   #8
Regular Crew

ROBERT, As far as the RF, it came across my mind but there was none that I was aware plus it's doing the same thing at home.

My only wonder is that while the camera was running I plugged in the RCA video cable to it so is it possible that there was some power surge? Maybe.

Thanks again.
Old September 13th, 2004, 07:27 AM   #9
Major Player

Rafal,

I can't conceive of a surge from plugging in your video cable, but anything is possible.

Let me make another suggestion: Remount the lens. If their is some small residual charge some where, this might dump it.
Old September 13th, 2004, 08:31 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Just tried it with both lenses and still no dice. Maybe a zoom motor? I wonder what the service people will say.
Rafal Krolik is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog