Progressive Scan @ 30fps? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old August 14th, 2002, 09:33 AM   #1
Major Player

Progressive Scan @ 30fps?

Is the XL-1S capable of progrssive scanning in video mods, at 30fps? Or is it like the VX2000, at 15fps? I've never found a specific answer to this question.

The camera probably isn't expensive enough for such a feature, but I'd like to pout my mind at rest!
Old August 14th, 2002, 10:21 AM   #2
Warden

The Frame Mode is a true 30 frames second, but it is not true progressive. It is interpolated. The Frame Movie Mode is explained in an article http://www.dvinfo.net/xl1.htm on DV Info.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2002, 11:09 AM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

The best description I ever heard of Frame Movie mode, was that it produces the same results as progressive scan but through different means.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2002, 11:33 AM   #4
Wrangler

On the VX2000 it does progressive scan at 15fps on NTSC versions. The PAL versions support 24fps.

Nathan Gifford
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2002, 01:47 PM   #5
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Nathan Gifford : On the VX2000 it does progressive scan at 15fps on NTSC versions. The PAL versions support 24fps.

Nathan Gifford -->>>

I see a lot of people here with PAL cameras, is it because most of you are abroad, or specifically opted for it?
Old August 14th, 2002, 02:14 PM   #6
Warden

The theory goes that if your going to film with your DV project the frame rates match much closer (24fps film vs 25 fps PAL). There are, however, a large contingent of PAL users because that is their native broadcast format. If you are going to film with your project I suggest checking with the post house that will do the transfer and use their preferred format.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog