Data Code at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old August 14th, 2002, 02:45 PM   #1
Doug Bastron

Data Code

I've shot some footage and would like the Date and Time to appear on my final footage when captured. I'm using the XL1.

I've turned on the Data Code "On" by pressing the Wireless Controllers "Data Code" button. When I do this I see the Date and Time through the XL1 viewfinder. However, when I capture the footage the Date and Time do not appear. Is it possible to include the Date and Time in the final footage?

Also, I shot the footage yesterday, August 13th. But, when I turn on the Data Code and play the tape the date is August 14th, the day I'm playing the tape, not the day I shot it.

Doug
Old August 14th, 2002, 02:46 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I would do it in post. You can really customize it in many different ways.

What do you use to edit?
Old August 14th, 2002, 03:01 PM   #3
Doug Bastron

I'm using Premiere 6. I was hoping that the date and time the footage was shot could be displayed when played from VHS or a CDROM. Kinda like surveillance cameras do.

Doug
Old August 14th, 2002, 03:04 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I don't know if premier has an option for date code. Perhaps someone else that uses it will post a message on how to do it. Vegas Video has it as an effects option. Highly customizable.

Good luck
Old August 14th, 2002, 03:07 PM   #5
Warden

It's page 62 of the manual Menu>system>Char. Rec.>ON You will not be able to hide this at a later time. Pages 79 and 80 cover camera data. Camera Data can be displayed by pressing display button on the remote on and off. If your playing back from a different machine than the camera, the Camera Data usually does not playback.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2002, 03:21 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I still think doing it in post would be the best way to go because it is undo-able, just a personal preference.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog