DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   Broken lens mount (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/3216-broken-lens-mount.html)

Aaron Couts August 16th, 2002 09:12 AM

Broken lens mount

My brother's XL1 was serviced a while back, and after we got it back, the lens fell off. The screwholes for the metal plate that the lens attaches to are stripped. I think I have a way to reattach it, but my brother lost the screws. Anyone know where I can get the screws? I haven't been able to find them at hardware stores or radio shack. Also, any advice on reattaching the lens plate would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Aaron

Jeff Donald August 16th, 2002 09:18 AM

If you can find a hobby shop that specializes in model trains, they may carry the screws you need. Some 25 years ago I worked in a hobby store, trains on 1 side, photography on the other. We carried a full assortment of all the little screws in brass, stainless, steel etc. Camera stores that specialize in repair may also have the size you need. Good luck.

Jeff

Don Palomaki August 19th, 2002 05:36 AM

Who did the servicing. You probably should hit them up for the cost of a factory repair rather than risk it yourself.

If you don't find the correct screws at a local specialty shop, contact the Canon parts folks, you should be able to order them from Canon. Be aware that there are some relatively high stresses on the flange (there is a lot of lens cantalevered off it) so be sure to get screws of sufficient strength. Also, changes to the lens mounting flange will probably require resetting the back focus, usually a factory service adjustment if using the the standard 16x servo/zoom lens. Be aware that there are some high stresses on the flange (there is a lot of lens cantalevered off it) so be sure to get screws of sufficient strength.

Aaron Couts August 22nd, 2002 01:35 PM

Thanks for the replies. I tried a hobby/train shop, but they didn't have any screws. So I tried a few camera repair places, but the only thing I found was excessively unhelpful surliness (but probably a fraction of the surliness I would encounter if I tried to convince the Canon repair place that they broke my camera). Plus the repair place is way out in Jersey.

Finally I found www.microfasteners.com. They have tons of tiny screws, and the guy was extremely nice & helpful. The screws I got are bigger and longer than the ones that came with the camera. I'll have to grind down the heads a bit, but hopefully they'll do the trick. Crossing my fingers about the back focus thing.

-Aaron

PanteraMan August 25th, 2002 04:49 PM

Be careful when playing with that mount. I had the same problem after I traveled with the camera on an airliner. The screws appeared to have backed out and it turned out to be the base that was stripped. Look at the screws with magnifier and make sure they are striiped as they only screw into a plastic mount. Yes plastic. I was disappointed in the construction of the lense when canon sent me back the parts. Seeing the amount of weigh on the mount I think they could have at least used a better construction method. So here is a tip when traveling I suggest removing the lense from the camera so when the ape baggage handlers chuck you case it will not break. I know I should have carried it onboard but that is a different issue with me and the airline. If you would like pictures of the mount let me know