DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   Firmware upgrade? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/32179-firmware-upgrade.html)

Gabor Kertai September 19th, 2004 05:18 PM

Firmware upgrade?

I've got an XL1s about 3 years old. The other day I took it to Canon's local service shop to have it checked, cleaned and fine-tuned as many posts on this forum suggest. I asked the guy if they could also do a firmware upgrade (figuring that there must have been some updates in the last few years), but he looked at me like I was talking nonsense. He said the XL1s does not have any upgradable software, only smaller camcorders do.

Got confused. Can somebody enlighten me about this?

Does the XL1s have a firmware that you can update?
If so, when was the last update released (PAL version)?
Is there a way for me to check what version of the firmware I have?

Or did I just make the whole thing up when I glimpsed the word "firmware" in somebody else's posting...?

Ken Tanaka September 19th, 2004 07:04 PM

No, it does not have updateable firmware.

Norman Woo September 19th, 2004 09:42 PM

I have an XL1 which I just brought in for repairs (had to change the recorder unit and cushion stand) and general cleaning and when I asked if there would be some software upgrades for the XL1, the Canon technician said yes the software upgrade (firmware) is part of the service.

Perhaps it's only for the XL1?

I read in some past posts that the firmware upgrade will also fix/improve the back focus problem on the XL1. Right now I can't hold focus when zooming in and out. I would zoom in and focus, then while zooming out, the focus woud go out and I have to keep my little finger on the PUSH AF to keep things in focus. Yes the focus is set to manual.

Anyways, I'll report back when I get my XL1 back in a few weeks. I somehow feel naked without the XL1 around me ...

Rob Lohman September 20th, 2004 05:21 AM

To elaborate a bit on Ken's answer. Yes, the firmware is upgradable,
but only by a Canon technician and not a consumer or another
repair facility. Whether there are firmware updates available is
not really known (although I think it is pretty sure there is at
least 1 for the old XL1, specific to the 16x lens if I remember correctly).

Norman Woo September 24th, 2004 06:01 PM

Well I got the XL1 back from Canon and the focusing problem now appears to be fixed. Zooming in and out now holds focus.

But in the course of cleaning the camera, Canon somehow caused an additional problem. Now I can only shoot in "Easy Mode". Switching to the other modes stays either in "Easy Mode" or goes to Tv mode (but I cannot adjust the aperture) or in manual mode (I cannot adjust either the shutter nor the aperture). Well it's going back to Canon on Monday. I'll have to use the camera as is this weekend as I have a dragon boat race to shoot. I hope nothing else is broken.

Sheesh ...