DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   Some questions about the XL-1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/322-some-questions-about-xl-1-a.html)

Elmar Tewes November 12th, 2001 10:05 AM

Some questions about the XL-1

I have some questions about the XL-1 and i hope to get some answers.

1. With the new XL-1s it is possible to shoot in black and white. Is it possible to shoot b/w with the XL-1 ? Or is the image quality the same when i shoot color and change the color of the image to b/w with Premiere or whatever (does it makes a difference if i use a color filter [for b/w] if the image is shot in color and then changed to b/w in Premiere ?)

2. Frame Mode. I transfer DV material (shot in frame mode) from my tape to harddisk. Does it makes a difference what kind of card (DV300/500/Canopus...) or what kind of software (Premiere...) i use ? Or is the uncompressed DV material automatically transfered in frame mode, no matter what kind of hard or software ?

3. And the last one that has something to do with question 2:
After i cut the material, i suppose it remains in frame mode and it is possible to transfer it back to DV tape ?

Chris Hurd November 20th, 2001 08:22 AM

Howdy from Texas,

<< 1. Is it possible to shoot b/w with the XL-1 ? >>

No. See the XL1 FAQ on the Watchdog.

<< Or is the image quality the same when i shoot color and change the color of the image to b/w with Premiere >>

The same.

<< 2. Frame Mode. I transfer DV material (shot in frame mode) from my tape to harddisk. Does it makes a difference what kind of card (DV300/500/Canopus...) or what kind of software (Premiere...) i use ? >>

Makes no difference... remember, when it's recorded to tape, Frame Movie video is interlaced just like regular video. Your editing setup can't tell the difference.

<< Or is the uncompressed DV material automatically transfered in frame mode, no matter what kind of hard or software ? >>

DV actually *is* compressed, at a 5:1 ratio. Frame Movie mode is automatically changed to interlace (trhat is, normal video) when it's recorded in the camera.

<< 3. After i cut the material, i suppose it remains in frame mode and it is possible to transfer it back to DV tape ?>>

Trick question! Because there's no difference between frame mode and normal mode when it came out of the camera in the first place. By the time Frame Movie mode comes out of the Digital Signal Processor inside the camera and is recorded to tape, it's a *look* more than anything else. And that's the whole idea. Otherwise it's exactly like normal, interlaced video. To answer your question, after you cut the material, it should still have that Frame Movie mode *look.* Hope this helps,

Elmar Tewes November 20th, 2001 08:41 AM

Yeah, i think that helps. Thanks !!

Don Palomaki November 20th, 2001 06:08 PM

Another way to look at it is that frame mode is displayed in an interlaced video as is all standard TV. However, the image in the two fields of the frame were captured at the same instant rajhter than being 1/60 (or 1/50 for pal) apart in time. Thus there is no subject motion between the two fields of a frame. And there will be a larger motion jump between the second field of a frame and the first field of the next frame.

Rob Lohman November 21st, 2001 04:56 AM

I heard this is not correct.... As I understand it
the XL1 does field deinterlacing + interpolation...
so basically... there should be a time lag....
But since I don't own the camera yet I'm not
100% sure bout all of this :) ....

Regards,

Don Palomaki November 21st, 2001 06:04 AM

Not deinterlacing and interpolation in the same sense as used by other programs.

All information for both fields is captured at the same instant. It goes something like this. Green from the even lines, Red and Blue from the odd lines is read from the CCDs at the same exposure instant. Then DSP interpolation is used to supply the missing samples for the odd and even lines (which accounts for the slight vertical resolution reduction in frame mode). This provides the two fields for the frame, and is based in part on pixle samples appropriate to each field. Although the interlace display has the fields 1/60 (NTSC) apart in time, the image in each field was formed from the same exposure, so there is no motion jitter caused by interlace.

Rob Lohman November 21st, 2001 01:43 PM

Thanks for your answer! you seem very knowledgable on this!
I have to read it a couple of times to form the pictures in my
head! Thanks!

Bill Ravens November 21st, 2001 02:15 PM

most noteably, the "jaggies" on the edge of semi-horizontal field lines are minimized since there is no horizontal displacement of even and odd field lines. As I discovered, however, there are still filed lines visible during blowups.

Ed Frazier November 22nd, 2001 08:42 AM

B/W with XL1S

<<1. With the new XL-1s it is possible to shoot in black and white. Is it possible to shoot b/w with the XL-1 ? >>

On the "S" model, save a Custom Preset with the Color Gain turned all the way down, and you have black and white. Switch modes on-the-fly by turning the preset on or off. I think Chris has answered the b/w question for the XL1.