Mini-Mount Question for Canon XLS-1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old August 18th, 2002, 06:55 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Mini-Mount Question for Canon XLS-1

I have heard that the Mini-Mount MM-XL1 effectively eliminating zoom motor drone and gear tap noise.

My question is does usage of Mini-Mount (MM-XL1) by itself makes sense without combining it with System Isolator (SI-XL1)?

Obviously, this single set up will make MM to be positioned differently since there would be no SI that would otherwise give an extra space and move MM away from covering the top zoom controls. If MM turned around would that make camera's balance disturbed?

Or will the MM eliminate the zoom motor drone and gear tap noise, regradless of it having the System Isolator?

Thank You
Todd Dilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2002, 09:40 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I am using the Mini Mount by itself (in the reverse position so it sticks out forward) with a Sennheiser Me66 shotgun and I get no noticeable noise in my recordings. Before the MM I use to pick up zoom motor noise, not anymore. I never had a problem with the location of the EVF so I never entertained the idea of buying a System Isolator.

Chris
Chris Ferrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2002, 07:13 AM   #3
Warden

I use both the System Isolator and the Mini Mount. Depending on the lens and mic I use, I'll use the MM mounted forward or reverse. I like the System Isolator because it balances the camera better (for me) with the MA-200 and the batteries etc. I hang off the back.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2002, 11:38 PM   #4
donking!

Jeff,

So are you actually using the MA-200 as a shoulder brace? or just as a counterbalance in combination with the system isolator?

It seems to me that the system isolator itself might move the camera back enough just to rest the body of the camera on one's shoulder (since the body is at that handy angle anyway). I was wondering (as far as shoulder bracing goes) if that would be sufficient or better than the MA-200? And I wonder if, with the system isolator, the MA-200 would no longer be positioned correctly as a shoulder mount?

I was thinking about getting the system isolator to improve shoulder bracing the camera, and then the beachtek (perhaps instead of the MA-200 or 100) for the xlr adapters.

Thanks for any further thoughts.

donking!
Old September 10th, 2002, 03:30 PM   #5
Warden

I do on occasion shoulder the XL1 with the MA-200. I find the System Isolater adds just the right amount of extension to the viewfinder that the XL1 sits comfortably on my shoulder. Without the Isolator the viewfinder was too close. I find the MA-200 to serve several useful purposes. It holds my CH-910 dual battery adapter and it also hold by mic pre-amp/phantom power supply. It can also hold my wireless receiver if I go wireless. I like having the ability to go 4 channel sound if I need to. I've only done so twice but it was a real god send.

When I have the camera mounted on a tripod for my wildlife work the MA-200 also helps to balance out the Canon EF 100-400mm lens that I use most of the time. It would be too front heavy to balance without the batteries etc. hanging off the rear.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog