Does Canon offer extended warranty? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old August 19th, 2002, 12:53 PM   #1
Major Player

Does Canon offer extended warranty?

1 year Canon warranty out-of-box seems a bit small for something like our cameras. I don't doubt the quality of the high end cams like the XL, but I'd like that extra bit of insurance IF something ever malfunctioned on the camera.

I baby everything I own, but even that can't prevent the odd bad solder from breaking later down the road.

I asked Chris at ZGC (a great girl, I can see why you speak highly of ZGC) and her response kind of down-played stores and agencies that offer extended warranties.

Does Canon offer additional warranty, or are we stuck with shady insurance agencies? I've never warrantied a camera before, maybe you avid DV users can point me in the right dfirection.
Old August 19th, 2002, 01:09 PM   #2
Warden

Canon dos not offer extended warranties like you refer to. If you're in the US you may be able to join the XL1 Owners Club. Details are on Canon's site. My equipment is covered by real insurance, not an extended warranty. The insurance provides protection for much more than an extended warranty. It covers theft, accidents (like the time I dropped the $30,000 camera off the tripod and broke the $19,000 lens) virtually everything. Call you agent and discuss your needs.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2002, 09:39 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Andrew:

Jeff's advice is the best move you can make. Insure your equipment. All of my equipment is covered under a policy through the National Press Photographer's Association and is worth every penny. I had a Betacam destroyed during the WTO demonstrations last year and the insurance replaced it immediately.

Doug
Old August 26th, 2002, 10:41 AM   #4
Major Player

Is there any particular name for such coverage and riders that would be advisable that your agent might not mention.
Thanks
Bruce
B. Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2002, 10:58 AM   #5
Warden

It typically goes under the name of All Risk Rider or Whole Risk Rider. It's the same type rider that you'd list jewelry, coins, stamps. things of that nature. It usually has no deductable and there are very few exclusions (riots, acts of war etc.). It generally covers replacement value. This means no depreciation. You buy and Xl1 for $3,000 and then backover it with your car. Opps! You call your agent and he tells you to get a couple of quotes on replacing the camera. You go to the corner video shop and to your surprise the XL1 is discontinued. The replacement camera the XL2GT is $4,200. You tell your agent (or the company claims rep.) the news about the old camera and in a day or two the check comes for $4,200 to replace the destroyed camera. All is happy in video land.

Jeff
Old August 26th, 2002, 07:06 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Remember, however, that a rider on your homeowners policy may not cover equipment that is used for business. That's why we carry a separate business policy on our equipment.
Old September 15th, 2002, 12:29 PM   #7
New Boot

While the forementioned insurance is a better bet, it is oftentimes expensive. A cheap alternative would be to ask a retailer about MAC extended warrenties for pro video gear at about $150/4 years on an XL1s. They eventually refund repair costs directly to you.
Ron Charles
Travelreview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2002, 05:59 AM   #8
Warden

If your not using the gear professionally, the home owners insurance is the least expensive and covers more than the Mack extended warranty. Check with Mack about their coverage of pro gear. Another thread here mentions that Mack doesn't cover pro gear. It may require a different warranty from them.

Jeff
Old September 17th, 2002, 06:10 AM   #9
New Boot

Actually Mack does cover pro-gear, but you need a special pro-gear warranty. As I mentioned earlier for a Xl1s with 4 years of bumper to bumper coverage (service by any authorized Canon service center worldwide) cost me $150.
I am not a home insurance expert, but standard home insurance does not usually cover profesional items (here in Canada) without being seoeratly listed and surcharged 4% of value per year. Additionally as far as I know, home insurance does not cover manufacturures defects and damage to electronics if used under field circumstances, Mack does both!!!!.
Travelreview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2002, 06:42 AM   #10
Warden

The All Risk Rider I refer to covers everything. It's covered if I drop it, it's covered if the electronics quit, it covers it in the field. If it is covered my a valid mfgs. warranty, the warranty supercedes the insurance. However, check with an agent before assuming anything. I pay about $300 a year for $15,000 of equipment.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog