DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   My little dilema (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/3263-my-little-dilema.html)

Andrew Petrie August 19th, 2002 03:05 PM

My little dilema

Got off the phone with Canon Canada, the warranty is only applicable in the country of sale. I was going to buy it in the states because it's a hell of a lot cheaper. I couldn't find any warranty info on the Canadian site, they always refer you to the US site, so I assumed a US warranty was good for all of North America. I'm glad I called.

I suppose it isn't so bad, I live an hour away from the border if anything did need fixing. What do you guys think?

I'd love to give ZGC my business, but a Canadian Warranty may be a good idea. Also, a local Toronto store has an eBay auction up for a brand new camera with said warranty.

I questioned the price (buy it now for $5500 CDN), it's not uncommmon for stores to try and offload questionable equipment (dropped or damaged boxes for example) on eBay. The auction also says 'no refunds, no returns'. This is the auction:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1374180424

adencamera.com. They have 4 retail outlets. The email I got back didn't exactly ooze with good grammar or spelling, but he just may have been foreign (plenty of asians in Toronto) I questioned the price and condition of the camera, and 'Ed' assured me it was the complete kit, factory sealed, and claimed to not deal in grey market or damaged goods. I'm inclined to believe him, but I've been burned before, and this would be one hell of an expensive lesson :)

So, Respectable ZGC with an almost useless US warranty, or an unknown Canon-authorized small chain with a full Canadian warranty.

Jim McNally August 19th, 2002 04:14 PM

Go for the Warranty

You never know when you might need to repair something and you'd be SOL with an American unit. There are better prices than the e-bay one you quoted. I just bought from Robinson's Camera in Alberta for $3585. Henry's in T.O. is $3800.

Andrew Petrie August 19th, 2002 04:59 PM

I don't see the $3800 you are quoting from Henrys. Henrys was the first place I checked, they retain their retail price of 6599 CDN (4203 USD) Henrys has always been one of the pricey places here.

You must be talking USD, but still I can get it cheaper at ZGC for 3599.

Jim McNally August 19th, 2002 07:04 PM

$3899 at Henry's

Are you talking about the GL2? I just ran a search at Henry's Can$ site and it returned with a camera for $3899

http://www.henrys.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/PageDisplay?URL=%2Fwebapp%2Fwcs%2Fstores%2Fservlet%2FPageDisplay%3Fdest%3Dframes.jsp&currency=CAD&de st=frames.jsp&storeId=10001

Not sure if this link will work but if not put GL2 their search field and see what comes up.

Jim

Jeff Donald August 19th, 2002 07:42 PM

I wouldn't worry about a US or Canada warranty so much. The camera has to be returned to Canon for service either way. How much loner would it take to ship the camera to New Jersey? Maybe a day or two each way. Balance the inconvenience of the delay to the money you save and see how you feel. If quicker service is more important go with the Canada warranty, if you'd rather save a few hundred or more go with the US.

Aden Camera has been around a number of years and are probably very reputable. ZGC is of course one of the sponsors and I'm sure would stand behind the product, if there was a problem.

Jeff

B. Moore August 20th, 2002 10:38 AM

Hello,
If you have any friends in the U.S.A., I would buy it through themand join the XL-1 club as well. If they're only an hour away, it may be a drive that's well worth it. It often surprises me that manufacturers are discriminatory in their warranty policies, after all, if they want to sell world wide, I think that their policy should be worldwide. I don't think they make a better or lesser product depending on the country they sell it in.

I , in purchasing a product, would send a very detailed e-mail to as many companys as possible and ask the right questians, specifications in detail . Ask for a very detailed qoute and leave nothing out. ( like is it pal or ntsc, is it the kit, etc. don't assume anything! The qoute you ask for by mail or e-mail becomes a legal document and can be used as such in case theres a problem.

When I purchased my equipment I made a spread sheet with headers of the product or accessory and the left hand column being the supplier. Then circled the best product or service and ordered the items . It also gives you a barganing chip when a supplier is higher than another and you tell them that XYZ company will sell you a MA-100 or 200 , lets say for $20.00 less then he will, and if they meet the price, you'll buy more from them.

I think you get the idea.

Good Luck

Bruce

Jeff Donald August 20th, 2002 11:08 AM

Most cameras come with 2 warranties. The first is a world wide warranty that covers the products anywhere in the world. Most mfg. require that the camera be returned to Japan for the world wide warranty. The world wide warranties are usually written to comply with Japanese law, so that the buyer has certain enforceable rights.

The second warranty is specific to the country of purchase and is written to comply with that countries laws so that the buyer has certain enforceable rights. This second warranty is also used to attempt to reduce the problem with grey market merchandise. Grey market cameras generally only have a world wide mfg. warranty. A grey market XL1s purchased in the US will not be serviced by Canon USA under the US warranty terms. A world wide warranty does apply to grey market goods.

Jeff Donald

Dylan Couper August 20th, 2002 07:23 PM

I'd go to Henry's with $3500(us) cash and make an offer. Tell them you are buying an XL1s at the first camera place that takes your offer, and if they don't want your money, someone else will.
They'll probably take it.
When it come to sending stuff from Canada to the US, and return, there is your shipping costs, and possibly duty problems to deal with as well. If you are close to the border, and/or have friends on the other side then I'd say got with ZGC. If you don't, then the extra money to buy it in Canada is probably worth it if you ever have problems. Besides, it's always nice to have an actual person to yell at face to face if it breaks on you. :)