no audio levels at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old August 21st, 2002, 09:34 PM   #1
Regular Crew

no audio levels

Just picked up a Samson UM32L receiver(XLR balanced) and corresponding transmitter for my Canon XL1, using the MA-100. I think I've tried every conceivable XL1 menu setting to obtain a level, but to no avail. Batteries are strong with the mic and receiver, I am set at mic level with the appropriate -30 signal strength...but no levels. My question is, what is the standard set-up using the equipment before me, to get levels? Or is the problem in my menu set-up....Any thoughts?
Tim Tonner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2002, 10:15 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Levels

Howdy. Please use this check list.

- Is the DC mini plug plugged in above the audio in jacks on the camera?

- Did you access the internal menu and toggle audio 1 to the mic selection (this must be done while in "A" and not "Full Auto") and did you put the input select switch behind the door to audio 1?

- Is your level knob set to manual and accidentally turned down?

- Are there any set screws on your transmitter or receiver that need adjusting, such as gain? Don't do this until trying the above.
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2002, 10:11 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the info...yet still no levels. Just for laughs, I hardwired my Tram microphone to the camera and DID get acceptable levels. Kinda bummed---I'm wondering if my diversity wireless system needs some sort of additional power source. I contacted Samson tech support, but their recorded message allows for a 24-hour "get back to you" response, which, of course, will probably occur whilst I am away from the phone...I need more answers.
Old August 22nd, 2002, 10:50 AM   #4
Wrangler

Precisely how is the receiver conencted to the MA100? What adapters and cables are you using?

Are there mute switchs on the wireless mic as well as a power switch and level adjustment?

Have you tried the receiver output in another device to be sure it is giving you an output signal?

I read that you tried another known working device (e.g., a wired mic) with the MA-100/XL1 combo and it did give you an acceptable level?

I trust you are connected to the Audio 1 input jacks on the back if the handle near the s-video output. (Perhaps obvious but some folks have mised this point.)
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2002, 12:23 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks for checking in. I connected the wireless receiver to the MA-100 using an xlr y-cable. Thinking it was a problem with the y-cable, I then went direct to the MA-100 from the wireless receiver, and did not get levels. Indeed, I used a wired mic to the MA-100, with the y-cable and without, and got levels in both cases. I am connected to the audio-1 input jack near the s-video output, my menu setting is set at "mic" for audio-1, my receiver output is for -30, or mic level. The only thing I haven't done is test this wireless system with another device---maybe tomorrow if I can get my hands on one....There are no mute switches on the wireless mic, nor gain switch.

confused
Old August 22nd, 2002, 03:28 PM   #6
Warden

Tim,

Aren't there lights on these units that show when RF is present? If the light on the receiver is not lighting then your battery is dead, not installed properly, not on the same channel as the transmiter, or broken. If the light on the transmiter is not lighting then the battery is dead, not installed properly, the mic is not functioning or the transmitter is broken. If both units are showing the presence of RF then the problem is in the cable to the MA-100, the MA-100, or settings in the on screen menu or the side of the XL1. Since the other mic worked with the MA-100 I can assume it works. I would double check the menu in the viewf inder. It is very easy to not set it and exit that function. What is the output of the transmitter? Most output line level, but is it switchable?

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2002, 06:31 PM   #7
Wrangler

If the other mic connected to the MA-100 worked OK, then the problem is most likely to be somewhere in the wireless system or the connecting cable. Does your receiver have a earphone jack? If so, can you hear the mic?

Note that the balanced output of the wireless system may be +4 dBM. If so this is too high for the MA-100. The manual appears to indicate that it cannot be switched down to mic level.

However, it appears that the unbalanced output can be connected directly to the Audio 1 input if you use a mini-phone to RCA cable, and it can be set to mic level. But it is probably better to leave it at line level and use that setting on the XL1..
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2002, 07:47 PM   #8
Major Player

Hello,
I hope I'm not insulting anyone but have you checked to see if they're on the same frequency (transmitter & receiver)? I use a lectrosonic UM100 and the dials for setting the frquencies are so small I need plenty of light and sometimes a magnifing glass to make sure they're set correctly. (Being a bifocal wearer, I check and recheck)

Bruce
B. Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2002, 09:25 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Thanks...transmitter and receiver are indeed on the same frequency
Old August 23rd, 2002, 09:48 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Thanks Don---My receiver does have an earphone jack, but cannot hear the mic...you may be correct regarding the MA-100, but I'm not certain...I still have yet to check this wireless on another device so that I at least know it is not defective. My guess, also, is that it could be MA-100 related. Who knows?
Old August 23rd, 2002, 09:57 AM   #11
Warden

What do you have the internal menu ( the one you see in the viewfinder) set to? This should be set to line. This tells the camera what type of audio to look for on the #1 RCA inputs on the back. These inputs are what the MA-100 are plugged into. On the side of the camera, behind the white door, is a switch labeled AUDIO 1/MIC. This should be set to line, this tells the camera where to look for the audio (in this case the RCA inputs-Audio 1). As Don states the MA-100 is not designed for the level that your wireless system may me outputing. Can you confirm that your output is line or mic. If it is line you will need an attenuation cable.

Jeff
Old August 23rd, 2002, 09:59 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Thanks Jeff Donald---Battery and transmitter show strong levels. My receiver does allow for both mic and line output levels, and I've double-checked the menu setting, and everything is OK there. Sort of a mystery. If you hear of anyone that successfully works with the same set-up as mine, I'd love to get their story...
Old August 23rd, 2002, 10:25 AM   #13
Regular Crew

I have set the internal menu to line...and have set the switch behind the door to Audio 1, although it doesn't specifically state "line". I have switchable outputs on my receiver -30, -20, and -10. I thought that if I was set-up for line level audio, I should be at either -10 or -20, and have tried receiving levels switching between the two, but without success...
Old August 23rd, 2002, 10:33 AM   #14
Warden

What is the record level set to ( the round knob labeled level). Start out low and raise slowly. The camera needs to be on. After about 5 minutes it will shut down and need to be cycled off and back on. The switch behind the door is labeled Audio 1, Mic and ATT. By setting it to Audio 1 the camera uses the RCA inputs and not the mic input used by the stock mic.

Jeff
Old August 23rd, 2002, 11:00 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Thanks Jeff---I gradually adjusted the record level switch---still no levels, and am still set for line level recording...
Tim Tonner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog