I'm a newbie and want to learn at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old August 23rd, 2002, 11:34 PM   #1
Regular Crew

I'm a newbie and want to learn

To start, I'm quite the newbie in video production. I "produce" the local county government's commissioners court sessions weekly with a new Video Toaster 2 setup (recently upgraded from a severely outdated Fast setup). I recently got an XL1s to work with too (which spends more time at my house than at work). I've read too many articles (from this site, as well as others) and seen too many low-budget films and documentaries that completely entice me to become good at video production/editing/etc... I love this stuff, but I know so little.

I'd like to know a good place(s) to start about techniques regarding shooting, editing, post-production, etc... I feel there is so much out there, it's almost overwhelming. I've read so many articles on this forum alone about various hardware and technical terms that I have no idea what people are talking about. I'm not completely ignorant on some aspects, but the world of video seems to be completely limitless.

Maybe I should read a book or two, or ten, which is fine, but I want to jump right in and start working with the equipment I have. Maybe I need some ideas for a small project to work with. The work I do within my current job is pretty bland. But I know I could spruce it up (more creative headers, footers, better CG, etc..).

I guess I'm just saying "hello" and want this great community to encourage, challenge and intrigue me with some great places to get started. I know there is a forum on this site to introduce yourself, and maybe this post belongs there. I just felt inclined to post under the XL1 forum since I have one. It gives me a sense of being a part of something :)

Again, hello, and thanks for your patience (you'll need some after you read the posts that follow).
Bobby Abernathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2002, 12:03 AM   #2
Major Player

Bob...........,

Hello & welcome,

You might like to start in the last section of these thats called READ ABOUT IT

A lot of great sources of knowledge, take your choice.

Good Luck

Bruce
B. Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2002, 12:12 AM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

Also see the Resources section of the website... at http://www.dvinfo.net/resources/index.php -- Top Ten Websites for Digital Video -- check out Adam Wilt's DV FAQ. That's an excellent place to start. Good luck and glad to have you with us,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2002, 04:01 AM   #4
ChorizoSmells

bobby,
welcome, xl-1 and a toaster, cool combo, we just did a job using 2 xl-1's and a toaster and mx-1 mixer. here is a link to a toaster group:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/VTNT/

this if the first mention of toaster's I've seen here, nice to see people out there still using them.

happy shooting!
Old August 24th, 2002, 04:46 AM   #5
Warden

Books are great, forums are great and even web sites like Adam's will add to your knowledge and hopefully inspire you. But you can spend all day here or read books until your blue in the face and until you get out and start shooting it won't mean much. Load your XL1 with tape and go out and shoot. The more you shoot the better you'll get and the stuff you read will start to make sense. If you can shoot a day or two with someone expierenced. Maybe a TV crew will let you tag along for a day or two if you explain your circumstances. So, get out there and shoot something and if you don't understand something, just ask.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2002, 05:40 AM   #6
Wrangler

Jeff is right. You have to shoot, and then look at what you shot with an eye to what is right and what is not right, and then shoot some more to see if you got it right that time. Key is learning from what you shot.

The books and magagazines, etc. can help you by giving ideas and techniques to try and what to look for in good (and bad) video.

Lots of people I know (Joe and Jane Sixpack if you will) shoot a lot, never look at what they shot until they have someone to bore, and never learn from their mistakes.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2002, 07:50 AM   #7
Wrangler

Just shoot, just edit.

Yeah, read everything you can on Chris's site. Follow the links read everything there and their links too.

I also think Hal over at http://www.videouniversity.com also has some stuff on shooting legal stuff. I have never seen so I do not know if it is any good. Also check Hal's articles and forums.

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2002, 09:08 AM   #8
Obstreperous Rex

Having the work camera at home is a good idea... try to devote some quiet time, Sunday mornings are great for this, to sit down with the camera. Cable it to a pro AV monitor or just the TV in your living room. Experiment with the different program modes, custom pre-sets, etc. and watch the screen as you do this... take note of how the image changes. Then venture out into the backyard or somewhere and start shooting! As these guys suggest, it's really the best way to learn the camera. Then *watch* what you shoot.

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2002, 12:20 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Thanks guys. I've been doing a lot of reading and experimenting...

Oh, and chorizosmells, I'm using the newer VT2. I have no experience with the older NT and Amiga systems, but the VT2 on this powerhouse pc I have rocks.

I wonder if other users off this site use a VT(2)...

Bobby Abernathy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog