DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   Overmodulation (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/3400-overmodulation.html)

Jeremy Evans August 27th, 2002 10:27 AM

Overmodulation

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out why my audio is overmodulated. I am running either a boom mic or lav into a MA 200 on the back of the XL1s. I set my levels manually for -12 db on the camera using the MIC setting and they sound great through my headphones.

Coming out of the camera is a different story. Going through a mackie mixer, I have to jack up the gain to get to 0db. Playing back the dailies on a standard tv or through the editing system sounds overmodulated. I know my other equipment is not faulty since I use it every day. The only audio trouble I have is with the footage shot on the XL1s

Thanks for any help,

Jeremy

Nathan Gifford August 27th, 2002 06:21 PM

Is it possible that you headphone volume is too low? Are you using a good audio cable going to your mixer?

Don Palomaki August 30th, 2002 06:05 AM

Sounds like you are using analog sound output from the XL1? How are you connecting to the Mackie mixer? What input are you using?

Jeremy Evans September 17th, 2002 10:40 PM

I'm using the the RCA outs on the camera and running them through an RCA to XLR converter. It should sound pretty good I would think.

Thanks,

Jeremy

Jeff Donald September 18th, 2002 06:38 AM

What Mackie mixer are you using? What input are you going in? Why not leave it RCA (line level) and go into the Mackie? I suspect it is the XLR convertor and going into the Mackie on a mic input that is over modulating the signal.

Jeff

Don Palomaki September 18th, 2002 11:50 AM

How is the sound if you connect directly to a monitor with out going though the mixer. That can help isolate the point where the sound gets bad.

Jeremy Evans September 18th, 2002 01:05 PM

It's the Mackie 3204 and I'm jacking into my patchbay. It's not the box because I use the same box to go from the VHS and 3/4 decks into my NLE with no problem. They also take the same route through the mixer. It's just the XL1 that is overmodulated. Very strange.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Don Palomaki September 18th, 2002 03:54 PM

What is the input impedance if the mixer where you are making the connection? The output impedance of the XL1 is on the order of 3 kohms. If connected to a 600 ohm input you might be overloading the XL1 output circuits.

Again, have you checked whether the output of the XL1 direct into a monitor (not thorugh your mixer) with unbalanced high imputs is good or bad

Jeremy Evans September 19th, 2002 04:36 PM

Yes, I did check straight to a monitor and it is still overmodulated. I can switch to unbalanced audio input when connecting straight to my NLE which, I believe, negates the 600 ohms problem, but that does not seem to matter.

Thanks,
Jeremy

John Klein September 24th, 2002 07:05 PM

I'm still trying to understand it all, but from what I've read, Line level on things like a VCR, Cam, etc. is very different than line level to XLR (pro) connections.

Here's a quote about LL stuff going in to a PD150:

Line level on most XLR equipment is +4 dBu, about 1.25 volts. The PD150 is one of the few boxes anywhere that uses the RCA/minijack line standard of -10 dBV, about .3 volt. Lots of my pro location sound friends have gotten burned by this.

I'm guessing if you go RCA out of the cam into the RCA (an aux type) input on the Mackie you will be happier.

Let us know, won't you?