DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   FU-1000 NTSC work on my PAL XL1? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/34554-fu-1000-ntsc-work-my-pal-xl1.html)

David Lau November 6th, 2004 05:56 AM

FU-1000 NTSC work on my PAL XL1?

Hi Folks,

My girlfriend just came back from the states and she bought me a FU-1000 NTSC. It just dawn on me that its an NTSC model. My camera is a PAL model. BUMMER!! Right now my camera is out on location for the week end and the suspense is killing me.

Mathieu Ghekiere November 6th, 2004 09:20 AM

Hmm, first I have to say that I REALLY don't know anything about these cams, exept what I read here from time to time, so don't believe what I say, I'm only guessing... but I read that the lens of a PAL or NTSC system will also work on a cam from the other format so why wouldn't the FU-1000?
Isn't it only the cam itself and the tape that's different?

But I really have to remind you that my knowledge of the FU-1000 is zero, so it's only a guess.

I hope it works for you, though.
bye

David Lau November 6th, 2004 05:28 PM

with DV tapes it doesnt matter. You just buy Mini Dv tapes, no matter which country you are in. Lens I am sure they work.

The thing about the FU-1000 finder is that its NTSC. where I am here in the Uk with a PAL XL-1. PAL runs a 25fps displaying 720x576 lines. NTSC is I think from the top of my head is 30fps displaying at 680x480, I made those NTSC numbers up.

So the finder displaying the image is quite important. lenses and cassettes are all the same until data is record on the tapes, then it will become NTSc or PAL. well I assume that you can over record with different formats? I only ever use a tape once since they are so cheap and my XL-1 is quite expensive to replace.

So anyone using a FU-1000 finder NTSC on a PAL camera ot vice versa? Please let me know it works. Damn should of looked into this. But Looking around on info about the FU-1000 the documents seem to suggest that its the same, there are no reference to either NTSC or PAL formats.

Mathieu Ghekiere November 6th, 2004 05:38 PM

Yes, could be about the tapes, didn't know that though. Thanks for the information. I hope it works out fine with the FU-1000.
bye

Ken Tanaka November 6th, 2004 07:28 PM

David,
We recently had someone try to use an NTSC FU-1000 on a PAL camera with bad results. He reported that it kinda worked for a while and then...poof. So I don't think it's a good idea to try it.

David Lau November 8th, 2004 04:25 AM

Thanks Ken for your reply.

I just got an email from Zotz digital, they say that "Greetings David; alas, of. the camera and viewfinder are format specific.

I don't have access to the PAL gear, they aren't sold in the US by
Canon.

luckily, these are the only things that are format specific.

Thanks brian"

Brian didnt mention anything going poof. God I am so tempted to put the finder on. the FU-1000 is so much nicely made than the standard finder. Well we`ll see my camera is coming back today. i will let you guys know if I decide to put it on or not or I am gonna put it on ebay.

Thansk Ken, the reason I bought the FU-1000 was after reading your article about it. Thanks good aticle too.

Chris Hurd November 8th, 2004 07:22 AM

My advice is to call the Canon office for their guidance before you do this!

David Lau November 8th, 2004 07:30 AM

OK finally got my camera and my finder to mate. Its worked without going poof!!! But as I suspected its out of sync. Searching the web for info, I have heard that you can modify the FU-1000 from NTSC to PAL. Anyone know how? Well Also as I suspected canon and any other Help desk are rubbish in terms of support. They told me that there is only "1" FU-1000 and it should work fine. well it didnt and no knows how to modify the thing, guess its going back to B&H or on Ebay unless I can figure out a way to mod it.

Elmar Tewes November 8th, 2004 09:36 AM

ok, here my report from myself:

i have a "ntcs" labled version and own a pal xl-1. it works. i don't even think the monitor is ntsc or pal, i think its multisync and just tuned pal or ntsc.
always remember: never pull out a cable while the camera is on, or put cables in while it is on, it will burn the fuse!
the modification. inside the big part of the viewfinder, the metal part you will find 5 small i think... white (?) round, screw like parts, the potentiometers.
you need to do it while the camera is on and the viewfinder is attached correctly. i dont think they are named so there you need to try what is what. you need to turn HSYNC, VSYNC, HPOS, VPOS to sync it with pal. use a very small, the best would be a non metal screwdriver (i used a metal cause i havn't had a non metal) and turn the screws a little bit in this or that direction and watch what the picture is doing. make the same on all screws until the picture is fine enough. turn the camera off, wait a minute so there is no energy anymore and turn it on again. it could be that it needs a few seconds to syncronise (i dont know what this is coming from) but the picture runs down and then stops, i think its because how good you adjusted the potentiometers. my needs a few seconds to sync but i don#t wanna open it again for that now.
well, thats what i did and it worked. but do it on your own risk when you think youre able to do it. otherwise better send it back before you damage more

David Lau November 8th, 2004 10:04 AM

Hi I decided to go for it, I am having trouble getting the mount off. the part that connects the body to the finder.

Elmar Tewes November 8th, 2004 10:07 AM

yes the screws to open it are very tight ! we had to use a spray so it works better, it was the hardest part of the thing

David Lau November 8th, 2004 10:37 AM

VERY Happy!!

THANKS ELMAR,

Figure it out one happy bunny. THANKS A BUNCH!!

Elmar Tewes November 8th, 2004 10:44 AM

cool :-)

Jan Mitacek January 18th, 2007 03:51 PM

I've found this topic because I had the same problem: FU-1000 NTSC on PAL XL1S. And I have to say: Thank you, Elmar. It works with no problem!

Gaven Eogan May 30th, 2007 07:54 AM

Hi,

I have used a NTSC FU-1000 for years on my PAL XL1S. I had to do this conversion myself similar to above fiddling with the potentiometers to retune it to PAL frequencies. It has worked fine ever since.

p.s. did you not notice underneath the 4 red leds at front is a sticker that specifically says "NTSC" on it :-)

Gaven