Canon Service - Page 12 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old May 30th, 2007, 07:44 AM   #166
New Boot

My XL1S tape mechanism stopped working recently (after years of recording/playing back on mechanism). I kept getting "Eject Tape" message when i tried to put in tape. I was dreading sending the camera back for servicing because I have plenty of experience with Canon UK and EOS 1D and L-series lens servicing - in my experience it always cost over €500 no matter what they did (replacing shutter mechanism on 1DMKii after only 80,000 shots cost €700, fixing jammed manual focus ring on 100-400L IS cost over €600). So when i eventually sent it in and it came back from the Canon service center in Ireland i was surprised that the bill for repair similar to above "replaced clutch/cleaned" or something, was only €150.
Gaven Eogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2007, 11:48 AM   #167
New Boot

XL1s died...

In the middle of a shoot the other day the XL1s I was shooting with died. In other words, I was in the process of shooting and all of a sudden the viewfinder screen started acting up and showing some weird lines and flickering and then the next thing I knew the camera appeared to be off and would not power on. At the time of this incident I was shooting with a battery. I then connected the camera to its wall adapter power source and still the camera would not power on or show any signs of life. I then tried another battery to see if that would help, but still the XL1s appeared to be dead. Has anyone else experienced this type of situation?
Carrie Cannaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2007, 12:36 PM   #168
Obstreperous Rex

Regardless of the cause Carrie (sounds like the master fuse has blown), your only recourse is to send it in to Canon factory service: http://www.dvinfo.net/canon/skinny.php#service

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 06:36 PM   #169
Trustee

That happened to my XL1S years back and Canon repaired it quickly and I had it back in my hands within 4 days!
The PCB board (something like that) was damaged and replaced under warranty.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 08:41 PM   #170
Tourist

Any Canon service techs out there?

Hi everyone, here is my problem. I have a Canon XL1 that I bought back in 1998 (yes, it is almost 10 years old). I have been living in Costa Rica for the past 3.5 years. I have noticed some fungus growing on the window of the camera body. The fungus appears to be on the other side (not the outer surface) of the bluish looking glass, but I am not sure if this is part of the prism assembly or a separate piece of glass. I went to a Canon authorized service center in Costa Rica (there is only one) and they told me the prism assembly (Part No. DYI-7997-000) needs to be replaced. They said the cost to replace the part, not including labor, would be $926. I called Canon USA to find the cost of the part in the US and I could get it for $551.12. Cheaper but still very expensive. Canon would not let me speak to a service technician to confirm that replacing the prism was my only option.

So my question is, has anyone experienced this problem and do I need to replace the prism? It sure would be nice for my budget if I could just remove the glass piece and clean it.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Kurt
Costa Rica
www.tranquilocostarica.com

P.S. By the way, there was also some fungus on the inside of the 16x lens which the service center said they could clean for $140. I am currently having this taken care of.
Kurt Raihn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2008, 06:20 PM   #171
Wrangler

The prism assembly is shown as a single unit. No separate glass shown, and no indication that it has a serviceable protective cover glass. BTW, the part number may start with DY1, not DYI.

If the "fungus" is not on the exposed surface, it is likely in one of the many other surfaces in the prism block or the CCDs attached to the block, and not much you can do about it without risk of messing up the alignment of the CCDs, and back focus setting of your lens.

Given that you can see through the prism to the three CCD, it could be a bit of a trick to determine where it really is, if not on the exposed outside surface.

Also a DIY cleaner of sufficient strength to clear the fungus just might damage the optical filter coatings in the block.

Is it messing up your the image noticeably?
Old January 24th, 2008, 08:34 PM   #172
Regular Crew

I have heard for many many years... Canon use Palm Hand Cleaner to clean fungus from lenses.....

I'd try it on a filter first though... :-) just to make sure
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2008, 09:49 PM   #173
Tourist

I have a noticeable blemish on some shots depending on zoom, light angle, and background color and texture. Once I get the 16x lens back from cleaning I will know just how bad the fungus is on the prism assembly. If it is bad enough it looks like I will be purchasing one from the US and shipping it here to our Certified Canon Service Center.

Asi es la vida.

Thanks for the inputs.

Kurt
Costa Rica
Kurt Raihn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2008, 11:44 AM   #174
Tourist

XL1 Servicing and Parts/Accessories in the UK?

I've got an XL1 that needs servicing. Playback is always very badly pixelated, I've tried cleaning the heads and it hasn't fixed the problem. Tapes shot in my other camera (XM1) play back fine in the XM1, but not the XL1. Tapes shot in the XL1 only play back in the XL1 if played immediately after shooting, thereafter they playback with pixelation in both cameras.

So all of this suggests the tape heads are misaligned, so I'd like to send my camera in for servicing. But I have no idea where I can take it. I live in North Wales and don't think there's anywhere local that could do it, but I'm not adverse to sending it away. Does anyone know where I can send it and how much a service would cost?

I'm also looking for accessories, as I really need a shoulder pad for it, and I'd like to add a suitable radio mic and maybe even an LCD screen.
Paul Trenholme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2008, 01:49 PM   #175
Regular Crew

Canon Service

Ok, I need some help with some info, I want to send my XL-1 off soon to get a checkup, nothing wrong with it I think, but I've read the post about this rountine maintenance and think it's a good idea.

Anyway does anyone have any advice on good reputable service for my camera, canon no longer will do it so I need some info that could guide me in the right direction. I don't want someone jacking me on something I don't need for this camera.

Somewhere in the North East would be good since I live in WV,

THANKS
Joe Hanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2008, 03:42 AM   #176
Inner Circle

Hi Joe.............

OoooK,

My take:

"nothing wrong with it I think" - erm, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

"canon no longer will do it" - erm, who says?

Do you have a positive quote on that?

If you have an issue with the cam that you think needs attention, then I cannot see why Canon will not address said issue.

On an XL1, if it's working perfectly without problems, do not touch, do not play and do not fiddle, just use till it falls apart.

That could take some time.

I would really like an explanation of the "Canon won't" thing, doesn't sound right to me.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2008, 09:35 AM   #177
Regular Crew

Canon won't

I called Canon Factory Service in NJ yesterday and they said they no longer are servicing the XL-1. They gave me the number of a company in NY who is Canon Authorized, They told me they don't work on them either.

Now, go figure?

The reason for the service tune up is for preventive maintenance and or peak preformance. If you read the Watchdog Skinny on the XL-1 it is recomended to do this. Canon supposedly would check all calabrations, back focus etc. etc. and you would be happy with the results.

Problem with me is the camera functioning at it best? Since I bought this camera used I don't have any comparison from when it was new. I have a gl -2 which is a great camera and it has a little better picture than the XL-1 I'm willing to spend a few bucks to find out. Maybe I'm nuts but I'm not a hammerhead either, I will take good advice.
thanks
Old February 8th, 2008, 09:45 AM   #178
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hanna View Post
If you read the Watchdog Skinny on the XL-1 it is recomended to do this.
I haven't updated the XL1 Watchdog Skinny page in years -- guess it's time to do that. Like every other camera manufacturer, Canon are required to service a model in the U.S. for seven years past its date of discontinuance. They have fulfilled that obligation and are now recommending an outsourced service provider. Can't see anything wrong with that. You're not going to find any other manufacturer that will service in-house a camcorder that's been discontinued for more than seven years.

The XL1S isn't far behind.

The XL1 was introduced back in 1997 which makes it a certifiable antique by today's standards. If you're using digital video for any kind of business application, you owe it to yourself and your customers to get into something much newer and more contemporary. I'm constantly amazed by the number of folks still shooting with an XL1 but it's time to let go, people.

And yes the GL2 is an improvement in image quality over the XL1. That's to be expected since the GL2 is about four years newer than the XL1.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2008, 09:59 AM   #179
Regular Crew

let go

Ok, I'm going to let go and move up.
Thanks
Old February 8th, 2008, 12:00 PM   #180
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hanna View Post
I called Canon Factory Service in NJ yesterday and they said they no longer are servicing the XL-1. They gave me the number of a company in NY who is Canon Authorized, They told me they don't work on them either.
That's too bad. I liked taking my XL-1 there every year for a cleaning...the girl who works at the counter is CUTE! Good thing I just bought a H1!

I still use my XL-1 and it still works great. If your XL-1 is still working fine...stick with it (unless you need 24p or HDV).
Mike Meyerson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog