Canon Service - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old June 7th, 2002, 01:00 AM   #31
Regular Crew

Chris-

This thread spooks me.
Are there other Canon service facilities in U.S. that you could recommend other than Irvine?
Ford Minton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2002, 06:31 AM   #32
Obstreperous Rex

Yes. Try Jamesburg, New Jersey:

Canon Factory Service
Attn: XL1 Service
100 Jamesburg Road
Jamesburg, NJ 08831
TEL: 732-521-7007

Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2002, 07:45 PM   #33
Major Player

Hearing these tune-up and repair nightmare stories certainly gives one pause when considering a new camcorder purchase.

I noticed that at least one vendor on the web offers an extended warranty with some of the camcorders they sell. Has anyone on this forum had any experience with such extended warranties?

Chris, do any of your recommended vendors (sponsors) offer extended warranties?

Thank you for the input, Nick
Nick Kerpchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2002, 11:01 PM   #34
marcspor

Irvine update:
After all, the problem seems to be resolved. They acknowledged hooking up my PAL XL-1 to NTSC equipment. That gives a bad picture. No need for a new main board. Truly, I am more than happy about that because that saved me quite some money. In a revised estimate they reported a defective video drum - again, unbelievable news to me. To make a long story short: They are going to check it again and - if necessary - they will fix it.
What I did not like? 1. Facing big expenses for something I am not responsible for. 2. Having the feeling that they might did not believe me. At any upcoming services I will run a demo of a working camera before I turn it in.
I do not want to rate their technical qualification here, who knows what went wrong. At least, I am absolutely satisfied with their service management (Chris Canada) and the flow of communication. He resolved the discussion in a very professional manner.

Marcus
Old June 8th, 2002, 07:48 AM   #35
Major Player

Hi Marcus,

Glad to hear that Canon has been responsive to your problem. Based on a number of posts on this board as well as my own personal experience with the repair facility, drum assembly replacement seems to be their *magic fix* for just about any video related problem. My camera was returned so fast, I'm not sure they even had time to do the repair, and it still had the same problem when I got it back. (http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1562) At least it didn't have any new ones.
Old June 8th, 2002, 12:34 PM   #36
Regular Crew

Having read these posts it seems to me that Canon´s customer support is, well, not so good. And here in Europe it seems even worse, from what I have heard from other users so far is that they´d be happy to have the kind of service that you get in the USA.
From my own experience I know that they are very slow and secretive about their products (the fastest email response I got was circa 9 days and the slowest almost 3 weeks, although I have to admit I never called personally, because I prefer email-conversation as this gives them time to answer your problem, or forward it to the right person which is often not possible if you just call in). In short no real help if you are in trouble.

Are these just rare cases or is this common?

Cheers,
Old June 8th, 2002, 02:19 PM   #37
Regular Crew

Peter,

My guess is that negative experiences are rare.

We all know that satisfied customers tell one person about their experience and unsatisfied ones tell 100. I was not trying to be especially negative since I love my XL-1. I just wanted to point out my experience.

Greg M
Greg Matty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2002, 08:43 PM   #38
Obstreperous Rex

One thing I will add to this is at least Canon USA is accessible. Try getting this type of interaction and feedback from Sony in a timely manner... practically impossible. And they suffer from some of the same issues here as well. At least Canon talks to us.

Old June 14th, 2002, 06:31 PM   #39
Andreveroli

Canon Xl1s Manual Service

Can somebody inform to me where to acquire the Canon XL1S Manual Service and where to buy spare parts and pieces for this camera?
All contribution will be appreciated

Veronica
Old June 15th, 2002, 06:19 AM   #40
Capt. Quirk

I would say that Canon would be the place to turn. Try shooting them an e-mail. They might be able to tell you where you can download a service manual.
Keith
K. Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2002, 04:04 PM   #41
Obstreperous Rex

XL1S service manuals are not available to the public, sorry.

Some spare parts may be available through Canon service centers. Depends on what you're looking for.

Old June 15th, 2002, 05:07 PM   #42
Andreveroli

Ok Chris

Thank very much
And the CanonXL1 ( non S ) service manual, is available to the public, or it is not ??

Thanks

Veronica
Old June 16th, 2002, 07:10 AM   #43
Wrangler

The XL1 service manual may be available. from Canon. The policy has varied a bit over time. You may have to sign a warranty waiver (if you mess up your camcorder as a result of using the manual - it is your fault). Not much in the manual of use to most camcorder owners/users. It is a very technical document. It is NOT as simple as programming a VCR.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2002, 07:32 AM   #44
Capt. Quirk

<<<-- Originally posted by Don Palomaki : It is NOT as simple as programming a VCR. -->>>

And all around the world, there are VCRs flashing 12:00...
Keith
K. Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2002, 09:07 AM   #45
Andreveroli

OK Don, thank you very much.

I understand that technical manual is not simple to understand, but is necessary for the hands of a technician who needs to repair some thing.

I will ask in Canon to know like acquiring it.

Thanks you again

Veronica

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog