DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   Canon Service (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/34797-canon-service.html)

Adam Wakely January 25th, 2002 07:23 PM

XL1 servicing & softwear updates!

I just received my XL1 from Canon, Canada today after 2 years of not sending it in. I can't believe I have the same camera back! The difference is unbelieveable! The clarity and focus, zoom, etc, etc. is excellent! And what's with my stablizer function? It's unbelievable as well! I can zoom in from a long distance and purposely shake the camera and it's so stable! Walking with it is great too. Do these softwear updates really make that much difference? Did I missed that much in 2 years or was my camera that out-of-wack? Anyway, I feel like I got a new camera, a better one! cool!

Don Palomaki January 25th, 2002 08:09 PM

What did the service cost?

Adam Wakely January 25th, 2002 09:44 PM

It cost $366 all together (canadian). parts where a cable ass'y CFV and PCB ass'y, finder jack. (labor was $240).
I had to pre-pay the shipping but they paid for the return.
I bought the extra insurance going there and it wasn't cheap!
$160 canadian based on $6000 ins.! I found out that Fedex goes mostly by the size of the box. Next time I will make a custom sized protective box so the size is much smaller than the original XL1 box inside of another box! I assume that Canon's return shippment has their own insurance (I hope!). Anyway, it's a right-off for business and worth it.

Brian Robertson February 27th, 2002 02:31 PM

Service (or not)

What gives with this service business?
I keep reading postings and articles about getting your XL1 regularly serviced just like you should your car. Well you try telling that to Canon in the UK! Each time I have contacted an approved Canon repairer ( and Canon UK directly )about servicing I have been told " if it aint broke, don't fix it " - now that suits my wallet just fine BUT what am I missing out on as regards software updates? These are never mentioned here and I don't even know if they are available this side of the Pond. Is this just another case of us Brits having to make do with second best ? Comments please.

Ken Tanaka February 27th, 2002 02:50 PM

Here in the colonies Canon offers a free XL1 Series Owners' Club which features special service and assistance to owners who sign up for this club. Among the services is a 1-time discount for annual maintenance checks and adjustments.

I don't know if Canon offers this club in the UK but it would certainly be worth asking. Here's the link to the Owners Club pages on the CanonDV site:

http://www.canondv.com/xl1ownerclub/index.html

Vic Owen February 27th, 2002 06:47 PM

Another thing the "Club" offers is a 5-day turnaround, provided you call in for an RMA. You also get a hidden voicemail menu # so you don't have to sit through all the verbiage when calling Canon!

Adrian Douglas February 27th, 2002 11:51 PM

Unless things have changed, XL1 owners club membership is for US residents only. I enquired about this when I bought my camera in 99 and was just told sorry, end of story.

Vic Owen February 28th, 2002 12:17 AM

Yep, we have the XL-1 club, you have the Ginza!

(USMC Atsugi 63-64)

Cheers

Adrian Douglas February 28th, 2002 06:01 AM

Wow, showing your age their Vic. Atsugi is just down the road from me. Damn Hornets are always flying over my house. I left the airforce to get away from the noise and it keeps following me.

I can't say to much about Ginza district, I tend to avoid it. Too many US serviceman. ;)

Dougmacc March 1st, 2002 01:55 PM

xl1 servicing

Adam where did you send your camera ? Calgary or Miss. Ont? My auto iris is gone. I worked at CBC for 30 yrs. I was the first ENG cameraman in Vancouver. I got my xl1 4 yrs ago and have been busy, I do a lot for CTV/BCCTV.

Dougmacc March 1st, 2002 01:56 PM

xl1 servicing

Adam where did you send your camera ? Calgary or Miss. Ont. My auto iris is gone. I worked at CBC for 30 yrs. I was the first ENG cameraman in Vancouver. I got my xl1 4 yrs ago and have been bus,do alot for CTV/BCCTV.

Thomas Berg Petersen April 24th, 2002 02:08 PM

Warrantee and Service on XL1S PAL

Dear dvinfo,
I have more or less decided that I will buy a Canon XL1S PAL. My question is about the Warrantee and Service. I have received some info from ZGC.com and they can get the XL1S PAL from UK, but the warrantee is only good in UK or Europe. I guess what ZGC.com means is that if anything happens the XL1S PAL must be returned to UK or Europe to be checked, serviced and repaired.
This is of course a great frustration for persons living in the US.

My question is simply to other members of this forum who have a XL1S PAL. Has this issue ever been a problem?

When I read some threads it is not unusual that the XL1S needs a check up.

I am looking forward to hearing from others about their experiences.

I will probably end up buying the XL1S in Denmark in a couple of weeks. But I think I will check out B&H to test the difference between the automatic lens and the manual lens. If I fall in love with the manual lens I will have a problem as the XL1S PAL only comes in a standard kit including the automatic lens.

Best regards,
Thomas

Chris Hurd April 24th, 2002 08:57 PM

Howdy from Texas,

The reason for this is because the two Canon USA service centers are not equipped nor trained for PAL gear. Likewise if you had an NTSC camera in the UK it would have to go to the US for repair.

If you truly feel like you need a PAL camera, you should be prepared to send it to the UK at least once per year for an annual cleaning and software update (all cameras need this actually, regardless of condition).

The XL1S PAL should be available as either a full kit or as a body only, with you purchasing the lens of your choice separately.

Pierre Vetsch April 25th, 2002 01:21 AM

Hello,
Just to mention that the Xl1S PAL body is now available at Optex International (http://www.xl1s.com/) for 2,685 US$ but I don't known for the warrantee and Service

All the Best
Pierre

Adrian Douglas April 25th, 2002 01:36 AM

If you live in the US I would suggest you go with an NTSC version of the XL. There really isn't any advantage to be gained from using PAL unless you are aiming for film transfers and even then some post houses prefer NTSC.

Considering the other expenses you could incur, i.e. shipping to Europe for warantee, buying a multiformat monitor, conversion to NTSC for US viewing/broadcast NTSC is way easier.