Safety questions!! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old November 17th, 2001, 12:45 AM   #1
DIGIXLDV

Safety questions!!

Hi,

I have some questions about the xl1 and was wondering if you could help with it.

*The red color that i record w/ my xl1 is showing kinda like a dark orage(or plain orange some times)on the tape.It's not really red.Is it some serious problem(CCD?burned pixles?)or just settings?

*How to avoid burned pixels anyway?

*How resistent to impact is the xl1 body & lens?Cause you some times knock it around a little bit on the field.

*How resistent to dust & other agents is the camera?The deal about wind is cause it can damage the lens(scratch it) or brings dust also inside the camera?How do i know if it's too much dust or wind to the camera?Is it well sealed?

*I have a tiffen 812 warming filter which i keep on all the times.Is it a problem?Do i still need a UV filter to protect my lens?

I know it's a lot of questions but it's really worring me i migh damage my camera or that the red problem be a big thing.Any help will be greatly welcome.
Thank you very much!

Adam
Old November 17th, 2001, 07:24 AM   #2
Wrangler

The XL1 should see reds just fine. But the CCD and the eye may see some reds a bit differently depeding on what really makes up the red. However the most common cause of funny color is monitor setup. Check to be sure your monitor is setup correctly.

Burning CCD pixels is not very likely. To avoid burned pixels avoid shooting directly at extremely hot spots like the sun and welding arcs without appropriate filters (but I do not have information at hand as to which to use).

The XL1 is rather rugged as camcorders go, but it is not intended to be used as a hammer. IT shourl hold up better than just about any consumer camcorder

Dust and grit can enter through openings, especially when the tape door is open. And dust and grit are bad for the internals of the drive and tape. It can kill a tape and the heads. Some folks use gaffer's tape to seal around the door when in dusty locations. Also, the camera can just about macrofocus on any dust on a filter, and may be especially apparent in wide angle shots under bright conditions. How much is too much dust in wind? Any if it gets in the camcorder and causes a problem. Using an underwater housings or rain slicker may help.

If using auto white balance a warming (or any other color corection filter will have reduced effect. The primary reason folks use a UV filter is to protect the front element of the lens. Your 812 can serve the same purpose. BTW, the front piece of glass on the standard Canon XL1 lens is just that, a piece of glass that protects the variable angle prism used in the OIS system.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2001, 08:27 PM   #3
DIGIXLDV

Thanks a lot for your reply!!!

Adam

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog