DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   20x Lens on the XL1s (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/34822-20x-lens-xl1s.html)

Shaggy Franks November 11th, 2004 04:11 PM

20x Lens on the XL1s

Hi Guys,

Has anybody have tried the new 20x lens with the XL1s?
Do the function Focus and Zoom Preset work flawlessly?

Because the “menu function” Preset Focus Settings is not available in the XL1s.
I’m thinking about getting the 20x lens instead the 16x Manual.

Shaggy

Rob Lohman November 15th, 2004 05:59 AM

From one of our articles:
Quote:

It is backward-compatible with the older XL1 and XL1S.
Source: http://www.dvinfo.net/canonxl2/articles/article04.php

You do know that the 20x is a fully automatic lens which the 16x
manual isn't, right? It's a bit weird to swap one for the other if
the other one would not work (it does).

Shaggy Franks November 15th, 2004 07:16 AM

Hey,

Yes I'm aware of that, its just have been reading that the 20x is as good or even better then the 16x.
I'm sure that the 20x will fit on the XL1s, but will it bring the features with it?
IN the XL2 manual it is posted that you need to do some setting for the 20x in the Menu.
So I'm asking has anybody tried this on the XL1s with accomplishment.
Will the features work on a XL1s since it don't have this feature in it's Menu?

Shaggy

Chris Hurd November 16th, 2004 08:14 AM

That's a good question. Somebody will have to test it!

Greg Boston November 17th, 2004 12:10 PM

Shaggy,

I just tested the 20X lens on my XL1. The focus and zoom presets DO WORK. However, the viewfinder isn't able to show the yellow box for the zoom preset position like the XL2 does. The zoom went at slow speed. The speed is controllable on the XL-2 as it uses the same speed that the thumbwheel gives when the handle setting is set to constant speed. The focus was pretty much instantaneous.

I don't have an XL1s, but I can pretty much assure you that it would behave the same way the Xl1 did.

Frankly, I'm a little suprised because I thought the 'preset' memory would be handled in the camera body via information coming through the lens contacts. No wonder the 20X is heavier, it's got its own computer in there (grin).

regards,

=gb=

Bryce Baird November 17th, 2004 10:17 PM

20x on xl1

Greg,

Did you notice an improvement in image quality with the 20x on the XL1?
And does this lense 'hunt' or go out of focus with the same enthusiasm as the original 16x occasionally does? I'm thinking of buying the 20x, as while the XL2 is an attractive camera, I'm not sure I need 16:9 or 25p just yet, but like the sound of this lense, and would like to improve the optics.
Do you think it is worth the investment?, or is the difference between the two subtle...

Thanks,

bryce

Karl Heiner November 18th, 2004 10:32 PM

Re: 20x on xl1

<<<-- Originally posted by Bryce Baird : Greg,

And does this lense 'hunt' or go out of focus with the same enthusiasm as the original 16x occasionally does? I'm thinking of buying the 20x, as while the XL2 is an attractive camera, I'm not sure I need 16:9 or 25p just yet, but like the sound of this lense, and would like to improve the optics.
Do you think it is worth the investment?, or is the difference between the two subtle...

Thanks,

bryce -->>>

hello bryce,

i am a new owner of a xl1s, and during my first shootings (studio setting) i was shocked about the hunting effect.

reading your post, do you think the hunting effect is belongs to the 16x lense?

greetings

Greg Boston November 19th, 2004 10:21 AM

Re: 20x on xl1

<<<-- Originally posted by Bryce Baird : Greg,

-->>>

To be honest Bryce, I was just doing a quick functionality test of the presets on my XL-1. Wasn't observing image quality that much. Obviously, the 20X has its advantages. It will give you more zoom to work with, the presets DO work, and it is the L series which has flourite coated elements that help reduce internal contrast reducing glare. It wouldn't be a bad investment, especially if you are considering going XL-2 down the road. You would only have to buy an XL-2 body.

regards,

=gb=

Bryce Baird November 22nd, 2004 01:52 PM

Karl

"I am a new owner of a xl1s, and during my first shootings (studio setting) i was shocked about the hunting effect.

reading your post, do you think the hunting effect is belongs to the 16x lense?"

Hi Karl,
The 16x is, I believe worse than the 16xII for hunting, but once you are used to the fact that it is going to hunt or play up you will learn to modify your technique.
Most of my work is with vehicles, usually moving and often at long distance and due to the inadequacies of the viewfinder it is almost impossible to maintain critical focus on a moving object, so I am forced to use auto-focus in many situations. But I must stress that the lense is fantastic for 95% of the time, and in a studio situation shouldn't pose a problem. Just manually focus. Any auto-focus system will play up, especially in lowlight. I think you need either the maunual 16x or to use the 16II manually.
Any piece of equipment has a learning curve, and I'm sure you will learn to love your new gear!
Good luck!

Bill Ravens November 22nd, 2004 02:48 PM

I used the 20x lens on a project a week ago. After looking at the capture footage on my large screen monitor, I'm disappointed to say that the focus hunting problem is still apparent on the 20x lens. The main subject stayed in focus, thanks to DOF, however, objects in the background have a VERY annoying focus/defocus at about 1 cycle per second. This makes my footage practically useless.

Jimmy McKenzie November 22nd, 2004 03:00 PM

Well that confirms it! A fresh round of manual settings only for me and my mates!
I know well the scourge of the back focus seek and annoy issue.
For run and gun in impossible situations only is the autofocus an asset.
To me it is still wildly incredible that the remote zoom controller has the focus +/ - buttons on it.

Frank Daghigh December 9th, 2004 01:55 PM

Bill,

I am disappointed to see that the 20X lense is working the same way as the 16X lense did. I was hoping that Cannon did resolve this issue once and for all.

I was ready to invest and upgrade both of my XL1s cameras with this new lens and I guess, I have to wait for the XL3 to hopefully solve this focusing problem!!!

Mathieu Ghekiere December 9th, 2004 02:08 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Frank Daghigh : Bill,

I am disappointed to see that the 20X lense is working the same way as the 16X lense did. I was hoping that Cannon did resolve this issue once and for all.

I was ready to invest and upgrade both of my XL1s cameras with this new lens and I guess, I have to wait for the XL3 to hopefully solve this focusing problem!!! -->>>

You can also just buy a manual lens ;-)