Lens Cleaning of an XL-1s at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old November 22nd, 2004, 09:20 AM   #1
New Boot

Lens Cleaning of an XL-1s

I know this sounds like a simple question, but I want to make sure that I am doing it correctly.

Just how do you go about cleaning your lenses. Is there products that we should avoid? and or use?

Thanks
Old November 24th, 2004, 12:09 AM   #2
Major Player

I use Kodak lense tissue and an air bulb, Kodak fluid if there might be a build up of any vapour on the glass.
Process is ...... use airbulb to get rid of solids( dust) you must do this so your not rubbing the glass with particles!
....... apply a couple of drops of fluid on tissue, wipe around glass circularly.
........ wipe with dry tissue
smitty
Jack Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2004, 09:02 AM   #3
Major Player

What's an air bulb Smitty?
Thanks,
Randy
G. Randy Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2004, 01:13 AM   #4
Major Player

It looks like one of those things you flush your ears out with except it has a little VERY soft brush on the end. You can softly brush some dry particles then as you squeeze the bulb a jet of air comes out.Don't have to worry about pulling liquid out of a can of air and it doesn't run out of air.Available in camera stores.
smitty
Jack Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2004, 11:32 AM   #5
Major Player

Towards the center...

As Jack stated, never apply the liquid to the lens, apply it to the tissue. When you wipe, do it from the outside of the glass towards the center. This way, if there is any physical "schmutz" it will now embed itself in the retaining ring of your filter or the lens element itself.

RB
Old November 28th, 2004, 01:10 PM   #6
New Boot

Re: Towards the center...

<<<-- Originally posted by Rick Bravo : As Jack stated, never apply the liquid to the lens, apply it to the tissue. When you wipe, do it from the outside of the glass towards the center. This way, if there is any physical "schmutz" it will now embed itself in the retaining ring of your filter or the lens element itself.

RB -->>>

Hi:

I have different direction regarding wipe my lens.

But here is the link from Fujinon. Even it's in japanese(I beleive they are lens professional), the clip can give you some idea.

http://tv.fujinon.jp/archive/lens/lens_f-bb01.asf

Calvin
Calvin Chang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2004, 01:12 PM   #7
Major Player

Thanks guys.
Randy
G. Randy Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2004, 02:37 PM   #8
Major Player

Godzilla vs. Mothra!

With all due respect to the "engineers", if they want to wipe from the inside out, so be it. Remember, engineers build it in the labs, they don't use it in the field!

I can only fall back on over 25 years experience as a First Camera Assistant...I was always taught circular, from the outside in.

Either method works, it just depends on what blows your skirt up! ;)

Regards, RB.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog