Sennheiser 112P vs. 122P at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old September 6th, 2002, 05:09 PM   #1
Major Player

Sennheiser 112P vs. 122P

What is the difference between the Sennheiser 112P and the 122P? I need to get a wireless system and these are the two that I have narrowed it down to.

Thanks for any light you can shed.
Houston, Texas
Paul Sedillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2002, 06:04 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi Paul,

The only difference with the two is the lav mike included.
The 112P comes with the ME2 Omni Directional Condenser mic while the 122P comes with the ME4 Cardioid condenser mic.

Both systems come with the EK100 pocket receiver, SK100 pocket transmitter, two batteries, antennas, line output cable, camera kit and operating manual. I'm not real sure what the "camera kit" is, but suspect it is a couple of pieces of velcro for attaching the receiver to the camera body.

This information comes from the operating manual supplied with the EW100ENGA system that I recently purchased.
Old September 6th, 2002, 06:40 PM   #3
Wrangler

Big difference are the mics. The 122 use a cardioid mic, while the 112 uses an omni.

In noisy environments cardioid may be a better choice. If you are shooting weddings you might want to consider omnis since they can sometimes pickup both the bride and the groom.

The P in the designation I think means portable. Those without the suffix are rack mountable.

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2002, 06:37 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks to all who replied. I have found a 112P for a reasonable price and have purchased it.

From other threads that I have read, it appears that most people upgrade the mic. Is that true?
Houston, Texas
Paul Sedillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2002, 11:21 AM   #5
Wrangler

I wouldn't say so...

The supplied mic is actually quite good. I am sure there are better ones to use with it.

I do use other mics with the system and they seem to work quite well. Generally the main mic I use when not using the supplied mic is a hand mic.

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2003, 09:05 AM   #6
New Boot

Do both of the recievers connect to the camera via an XLR, mini-XLR, or mini-cable on consumer cameras (I'm looking into getting the new Panasonic DVX100 which only has the XLR inputs)?

Thank you~
Esteban Sosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2003, 09:25 AM   #7
New Boot

Okay, it looks like I just answered my own question when I got to page 8 of this directory. It says the 100 series has a mini jack and the 500 has an XLR output. But double-checking on the actual Sennheiser websites lists this:

100 series: Type Of Input Connector: Unbalanced 3.5mm, Mic/Line

500 series: Balanced and unbalanced audio output via
1/8” mini TRS jack

Well, I'm still confused unless I see an actual image of an XLR cable sticking out of the unit. Neither of the above appear to actually say "XLR" output on its product description although the 500 series does say "Blanced and Unbalanced." Can anyone clear this one up?
Esteban Sosa is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog