Wide Angle Adapters and filters at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old September 7th, 2002, 06:50 PM   #1
New Boot

Wide Angle Adapters and filters

Hello,

Anyone come up with a way to use filters with WA adapters that are NOT threaded? I have the Canon WD-58H. I can fit one filter BEFORE the adapter without any vignetting and it feels perfectly solid and safe. I cannot use a polarizer though because of the play in enabling it to turn.
I've unscientifically measured the adapter to be about 80mm.
Maybe something I can do with an 82mm filter and fill in the gap somehow.
Add something to the adapter? Maybe one of those screws like the hoods have to the filter? I don't know...I am checking with you all before I start tinkering.

Michael
Michael A. Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2002, 12:36 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

I wonder if it's possible to use a traditional rod-mounted matte box / filter holder in front of the lens and adapter, without vignetting?

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2002, 12:21 PM   #3
New Boot

Finally got ahold of an 82mm filter.
Holding it up (the normal side) to the Canon wide angle lens it is exactly the same size as the lens. Meaning they abutt each other. Nothing I can think to attach this way.
If you turn the filter around, it does just overlap the lens. I cannot think of anyway though to hold that filter on. I originally thought I might be able to come up with a couple of glued bits to snugly fit it but seems pretty hit and miss.
The Century Optics sunshade/filter holder appears to be just slightly too small though I have not used it. It has a 80mm clamp on to 75mm step down. The Canon lens appears to have plenty of room at the edges that is not used by the camera though.
Looks like the way to go is a Matte box as mentioned above. One would just need to make sure the "ring" that buffers the box from the lens is the right size. 82mm. Century Optics has one but not sure of the rings included fit. Sure they must have one up to their 80mm which must certainly fit the 82mm fine.
Only problem with all this is it is starting at $750.
And since the only real benefit of having one to me is the use of a polarizer, that would cost me $200+ for a 4"X4", I don't see much advantage at all.
As mentioned earlier, you can screw a filter on and then screw the WA on to that for as far as I can see, no change in image.

So it just looks like no polarizer at Wide Angles. Too bad.

Michael
Old October 9th, 2002, 02:46 PM   #4
Major Player

Michael, what do you exactly mean in yr first post by "I cannot use a polarizer though because of the play in enabling to turn"
Andre De Clercq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2002, 03:10 PM   #5
New Boot

When you put a polarizer BEFORE the WA, you do not get a very safe and sturdy set up. Because the polarizer is two pieces, having a heavy WA adapter hanging off it is not secure.
Camera + normal filter + WA Adapter = OK
Camera + polarizer + WA Adapter = broken polarizer and WA as it hits the ground

Michael

Note: I see that this post has been moved to XL1 Lens & Optics.
I think it was originally posted in the GL2 forum and refers to the GL2 camera.
Old October 9th, 2002, 03:48 PM   #6
Major Player

Sorry for my poor english understanding. Are you shure polars are the fragile. I used to do that for years with my VX1000 + polar + WA(VCL07552H). It even felt down one day with polar and WA on (actually I felt down and had to lose the cam) A small support broke off, the polar and WA were still on...just a small scratch on the rubbery front of the WA.
Old October 9th, 2002, 05:35 PM   #7
New Boot

No..I must admit I am not sure of the strength.
I do know however that with my Hoya Cir Polarizer the weight of the WA pulls it down slightly. There is a lot of play in the lens that sure is scary. It causes the WA to tilt down. Touch the WA and it wobbles.
Seems ready to seperate the two polarizer pieces at any time.
I just figured all polarizer would be unstable because of the play inbedded to make the polarizer turn freely in the first place. Also, you'd be relying on very thin piece of threading that seperates the two pieces of polarizer instead of the usual two threaded sides of a normal filter.

What brand of filter was yours? Samsonite?
And English is over-rated anyway.

Michael
Old October 10th, 2002, 04:31 AM   #8
Major Player

Cokin 52mm linear polarizer (cheap but perfect for me). No vignetting on wide even with largest aperture. FYI ( and for my reassurance), I weighted the WA on a digital kitchen balance (192 gram), screwed it on and pressed the balance plateau downword with the side of my WA's rubbery front. I went up to 10+times (2.2kg) the WA's mass. Nothing happend...
Old October 10th, 2002, 07:48 AM   #9
New Boot

Hey...
Thanks for that info.
But Cokin? They make a screw on filter?
Aren't they all filter holders?

Michael
Old October 10th, 2002, 09:44 AM   #10
Major Player

I bought mine in Europe about 6 years ago...Aparently they still are sold. See http://www.introphoto.co.uk/frameset.html
Andre De Clercq is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog