DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   FindSounds.com IE Temp files? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/3599-findsounds-com-ie-temp-files.html)

John Locke September 8th, 2002 08:56 AM

FindSounds.com IE Temp files?

I've been downloading sounds via FindSounds.com on a Mac. They play fine until I shutdown the computer. Then, when I try to open them again, I get the message that QuickTime can't fine the original IE temp file (I'm guess it's a type of lock file).

Any idea how to get around this? What's the purpose of using FindSounds.com if you can't keep them?

B. Moore September 8th, 2002 10:33 AM

John,
I had the same proble when I went to OSX from 9. 9 allowed stuffit to do it as an AIFF, etc. OSX uses QT to do it in there never ending way (Mac) of forcing you into something.
Here's the soluton.
Hold down control Key and click the link for the sound file at the same time, a box opens up and gives you a choice. I think it's save to disk. I try it and get back to you.
Bruce

B. Moore September 8th, 2002 11:07 AM

OK John, I just tried it.

1.) I Created a folder called "SOUND FX - OSX"

2.) GO TO HTTP://WWW.FINDSOUND/TYPES.HTML

3.)Pick one, let's say bees, click it

4.) it will give you all the aiff, au, and wav

5) clickoff au and wav leaving aiff checked

6.) go to top and where it says bees in window there is a a go button to right
click it.

7.) 2 bee sounds wil come up

8.) while holding down control key, put curser over the sound of choice, click but don't let go( at this doint a window opens up, let go of control key and while still holding down the click on mouse) While still holding it down , slide curser over to " download to disk". Then let go! Now the save to box opens up. The first time you do this you may have to search for SOUND FX _ OSX, when you find it click it , then click save. another window opens up and you can watch it download. Time size and when done.

I don't mean to insult you or over simplify the process, but I want to make sure you have a reference to go back to incase you miss a step.

Please tell me how it works for you and if it does, perhaps you can get me a signed photo of Shimada Yoko ( we call her Yoko Shimada, From SHOGUN, She lives in Skin-juku)

Bruce

Ted Jan September 8th, 2002 03:51 PM

I'm not a Mac user but it sounds like your Internet Explorer is saving a copy of the sound files into a temporary directory which the contents of get erased when you shut down.

I know that unless you are using Quicktime Pro, you normally don't have the option to save the sound files from the Quicktime Interface. FindSounds.com let's you save sound files, it just the interface you are using to listen to the sounds doesn't allow you to.

A very quick solution would be to do a search and find the IE temp directory. When you are ready to shut down, all you need to do is copy whatever is in that directory into another folder. However that means you will have a copy of everything even the stuff you didn't want.

Ken Tanaka September 8th, 2002 04:08 PM

John,
I think we're all dancing around similar solutions here. What I do is to Control-click on the sound's link (not buttons to the left of the link) and select "Download Link to Disk", then select your Desktop folder (or wherever you want the sound file to land) and voila!

B. Moore September 8th, 2002 05:44 PM

KEN
If you want to skip going thru all the au's, wav's and go right to ALL or just the aiffs, you would un-check the wav and au box, go to the top and click go. try it! as far as I know there is no button to the side of the link, right or left

otherwise when you pick bees on the first page , and it automatically goes to page 2 with all the bee sound effects, you get all kinds.

Jeff Donald September 8th, 2002 05:49 PM

You might want to try a different browser. If I'm doing a lot of downloads (especially large ones) I use Chimera Navigator 0.4 http://chimera.mozdev.org/ It is much faster down loading than Internet Explorer. Maybe it has a better download manager? I don't know. But it's at least twice as fast.

Jeff

John Locke September 8th, 2002 06:17 PM

Bruce, Daremo, Ken, Jeff...thanks!

I hadn't tried the control-click option...it hadn't even occurred to me since it had never been necessary before. Guess this is a new OSX thing.

Bruce...you've got me curious now. I'll have to find out more about Shimada-san. And Jeff, I'll have to check out the Chimera Navigator now that its had a little time to mature. I checked it out earlier but it was still a "developing" program at that time. Glad to hear it has come of age.

B. Moore September 8th, 2002 06:55 PM

O John sama,
wakarimasu, YES, it is a OSX thing. when we were happy in OS 9 it was never a problem, than some baka decided that in OSX it would be handled by Quick time. Boy did I waste hours trying to fuiigure it out so I called Mac. Dah!

Yoko Shimada was Mariko in the 13 hr epoch "Shogun", When I was in Shin-juku,1986, I looked all over for her. no luck

But if you find her get her signed picture for me.

Bruce