DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   Recording TV Broadcasts using the XLS1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/36374-recording-tv-broadcasts-using-xls1.html)

Jiggy Gaton December 14th, 2004 05:25 AM

Recording TV Broadcasts using the XLS1

Recording TV Broadcasts using the XLS1, is there a trick? I followed the instructions , works fine, but I noticed that the colors are not all that great, most of the show i taped looked like it was overexposed, and suprisingly enough the commercials did not come thru, they are fading in and out on the tape.

I taped a program that featured the music video I shot using the XLS1, and surpise there, that was the best part of the broadcast that came over on tape!

I am using all PAL equip, a fairly new phillips TV with monitor out, but no s-video port, which perhaps would have done better, dunno.

The broadcast was perfect on the TV and cam monitor, but like i said, colors washed out during taping. Hmmmm....there must be a trick.

BTW, i did a test with my backup cam, paniGS400, and that was awful - no color red at all! still have not figured that one out. So perhaps it's the TV monitor out on the phillips? But using the monitor out to a VCR or other gizmos works fine.
thanks!

Rob Lohman December 15th, 2004 07:48 AM

Are you saying you taped this to VHS first and then recorded it to
the XL1S? It sounds like you are doing that...

Anyway, here would be my list of issues:

1. your VCR if you recorded to it

2. composite connection and/or cable

3. your TV (if you used that)

4. the broadcast

The problem might be that the TV (or VCR) was nog receiving
a very good signal (due to whatever reason) and this caused
the signal that was sent to the XL1S to be out of bounds (ie,
not confirming to the specs it should).

That's one of the few technical things I could come up with
besides the obvious like bad cables or bad tuners etc.

Jiggy Gaton December 15th, 2004 08:22 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Rob Lohman : Are you saying you taped this to VHS first and then recorded it to
the XL1S? It sounds like you are doing that...

Rob I went straight to the XLS1 using the monitor out plugs on the TV/Tuner. The broadcast was very clean on the TV, and in the XLS1 monitor (not that u can see alot there). But i guess that just may be as good as it gets thru composite cable? No biggie, I am putting the broadcast on DVD and also another menu item for the original cut of my music video (that looks pristine), so all ends well. I was just hoping for better. thanks!
jigs

Rob Lohman December 15th, 2004 08:47 AM

It should've been okay. I've done a couple of TV recordings with
the camera and they worked out beautifully! Perhaps it was just
some fluke... who knows!