F stop number, picture quality? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old December 21st, 2004, 03:25 PM   #1
Inner Circle

F stop number, picture quality?

I mostly try to shoot at an f stop 1.8 or so, to have shallow depth of field.
But I read sometimes here that a cam films best or so, at an f stop of 4 to 8 or something like that?
Is that so? And why is that?
Is it because you have more detail? More color rendition?

Thanks for any information in advance.
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2004, 05:06 PM   #2
Major Player

Cam optics (lenses) are ''optimised'' for midrange F-numbers. However, F-setting doesn't make too much resolution difference for video unless you set to high F-numbers with small CCD chips(diffraction). Color rendition is not affected.
Andre De Clercq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2004, 08:05 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Thanks. So I don't have to worry so much about it?
Old January 8th, 2005, 10:45 PM   #4
Tourist

In terms of quality, you probably mean the cleanest picture you can get. This may not pertain to quality per-se, but it does explain a lot about using the f-stop on a DV camera to maximize the looks of your shots concerning DOF.

http://www.dvxuser.com/cgi-bin/DVX2/YaBB.pl?board=news;action=display;num=1083366247

I saw that no one else replied, so maybe this can provide you with a little more info.

Good luck!
Charles Palen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2005, 11:50 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Yeah, I just indeed wanted short DOF, but if there would be a difference in picture quality I would have to think about it. I knew about how to get the short DOP. But thanks a lot! It's great to play with your focus (well not like a lunatic, but if it fits the story)
Old January 9th, 2005, 06:48 PM   #6
Major Player

Typically, any camera lens will be the sharpest edge to edge at one of the mid f- stop settings. With computer-aided design and significant improvements in lens manufacturing this distinction is harder and harder to see without magnification.
Also, if you choose a mid f-stop for correct exposure of a scene, you has all kinds of latitude for over or under exposing to get the look you want. It is always a compromise choosing the right condidtions for your shoot.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog