How much should you expect to pay to clean/service a XL1s at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old September 13th, 2002, 03:51 PM   #1
Major Player

How much should you expect to pay to clean/service a XL1s

All,
Most of you that actually read my babble here on this forum know that 99% of our shoots are outside in the elements here in Alaska.

Due to this fact, we put our XL1s through some rigorous exercise at every shoot, and our locally high humidity that adds to this concern with your high value gear.

Last weekend we tramped through some areas moving to our next shot locations, that would make most 3 chip DV camera jockeys puke to put it mildly. I was really wondering if the camera was going to fire up at the next location, and gritted my teeth every time I flipped it on.

I decided to take the camera in today at lunch for a major cleaning, and was referred to a gentleman by the local authorized Canon rep here in town.

The camera is working fine in all aspects, and has no issues whatsoever. But, my mode has always been along the preventive maintenance order. I find this mode a cheaper way of doing things in the long run.

After all the long drawn out explanation above, what should I expect to pay for this kind of service? e.g. heads cleaned, and the whole body taken apart for a major cleaning/dust removal/all contacts cleaned.

Thanks in advance for the response!

Dan
Old September 13th, 2002, 04:56 PM   #2

Dan, if you're a member of the XL1 Owners' Club, it shouldn't be all that much. Before I sold it, I sent my XL1 to them and had them clean it. Sticks in my mind it was under $100, excluding shipping, of course.

If you are a member, you can call their toll free number. They'd probably give you an estimate.
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2002, 05:03 PM   #3
Warden

Dan,

I wouldn't recommend all the work you're contemplating. If the camera is working properly and you are not having problems, don't invite them. Get the heads cleaned professionally and let it go at that. That's all your camera needs for basic service. But tearing into your camera and disassembling major components in an attempt to remove dust and clean contacts is not recommended. The disassembling can cause damage to circuit boards, ribbon connectors, flex circuits and other components. However, if you feel the camera has been subjected to extremes in moisture, contaminants etc. I would send the camera to Canon for service. Complete details are on the Watchdog. I wouldn't trust a pro camera, like the XL1, to most local service centers. They lack experience with the product and generally don't have the schematics or service manuals (which are required to insure the product meets factory spec.).

My XL1 has been all over the world (heat and dust of East Africa, cold of Churchill, Manitoba, and heat, humidity and sand of the Everglades) and all I've done is have the heads cleaned and tape path alignment adjusted. I would expect to pay around $100 for a head cleaning. If you want the disassembly and all that entails I would expect to pay around $300 including head cleaning.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2002, 05:41 PM   #4
Major Player

Re: Jay's response

How long did they take to return it(not including shipping time)?

The reason I ask, is because we have a limited time before freeze up, and we need a lot more footage (that can't happen during the winter) to satisfy our need for the DVD we are producing. I'd hate to turn this into a 2 season project, or compromise the quality of our project by using existing footage that would have been left on the cutting room floor per sey.

The timing in this exact scenario is "critical path" at this very second is the reason I ask this question.

Again, thanks for taking the time to respond.
Old September 13th, 2002, 05:54 PM   #5
Major Player

Re: Jeffs response

Jeff,
I'm hearing you loud and clear, and agree. It's kind of like taking your Mercedes to a Yugo mechanic.

I feel comfortable with this person because I was referred to him by the local Canon dealer (who we trust), and when I went to talk to him today…….he had 2 GL1's sitting on the shelf that were waiting on pickup from cleaning/repair that belonged to 2 other companies (that are our only competition in the fishing game =).

I'll take your suggestions under advisement. Thanks for the great input.
Old September 13th, 2002, 06:05 PM   #6

Including the shipping time, to and from, it was a day or so under two weeks. So they had it for three days, or there 'bouts.
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog