Best Protection from Dust for XL1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old September 16th, 2002, 04:14 PM   #1
Stembridge

Best Protection from Dust for XL1

Can you please forward ideas for best protection from dust?
Planning trip to Northern Kenya.
Thanks!
David Stembridge
david@greenpeas.us
Old September 16th, 2002, 09:58 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi David,

The "best" protection would probably be an underwater housing of some sort, but very expensive for an XL1 and cumbersome to use. I use a PortaBrace Rain Slicker when shooting in dusty conditions. It doesn't keep everything out, but does a fair job and is much better than no protection at all. Similar rain gear from other manufacturers would likely work just as well.
Old September 17th, 2002, 05:35 AM   #3
Warden

I've been to that region and it has the worst dust I've encountered. On one trip probably 80% of the camcorders failed (dust clogging the heads?). When you're travelling put the camera in a plastic bag and seal it as best as possible. Maybe the large, white (white to reflect heat), kitchen trash type. Carry some spares in case of tears. Beautiful place, what season are going?

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2002, 05:50 AM   #4
Stembridge

I'll be in the Turkana area; doing a couple of videos documenting the work of missionaries, and the Maasai they work with. This will be my first overseas trip with gear; so I appreciate any advice you offer.
One thing I was wondering, and haven't found, was a solar charging pac for my XL1s batteries. Has anyone seen anything?
Thanks!
David
Old September 17th, 2002, 06:15 AM   #5
Warden

I played with solar chargers a few years back. The panels are expensive. I bought cosmetic rejects from the mfg. and it still was well over $100 for the panels. NRG http://www.nrgresearch.com/cat.html I think may still make them. I used the cigarette lighter in vehicles to charge my batteries. Most drivers were very cooperative.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog