DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   XL1s rain gear... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/3767-xl1s-rain-gear.html)

Steve Pope September 19th, 2002 04:44 PM

XL1s rain gear...

May I have some suggestions on some good rain gear and a good place to purchase for a Canon XL1s...Thank you...

Chris Hurd September 19th, 2002 05:26 PM

Regarding "where to buy," it's the most common question I get, so I posted a permanent message at the top of the forum addressing it. See http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22 -- basically, you should consider buying from our site sponsors, because they're simply the best, most honest and reputable dealers in the business, and they also help make these forums possible.

As for rain protection, your choices are KATA (green) and Porta-Brace (blue) rain slickers. Either one is an excellent choice. Someday soon I'll get my KATA rain slicker review up on the XL1 Watchdog website. Hope this helps,

Andrew Petrie September 20th, 2002 02:24 PM

I'll personally vouch for the PortaBrace Rain Slicker, I got the extended one with room for the MA-200. It already paid for itself when I was taking footage of crashing waves along the Canadian Maritimes coastline.

Pricier than the KATA however, but a great investment.

Ken Tanaka September 20th, 2002 03:25 PM

I'll second Andrew's recommendation for the PortaBrace slicker. It's very carefully designed and crafted with significant details. And it's sewn to last long enough to become an heirloom for your children. IMO, nobody knows camera weather protection better than PortaBrace. Ever see anything else on eng cameras?

Phil French September 20th, 2002 08:22 PM

I also have been happy with my Portabrace Rain Slicker. I haven't used it too much, but when I did need it, it came through with flying colors. I was shooting an outdoor bull riding competition and it started raining after the first bull. It poured for the rest of the show( about three hours) and my XL1s came through totally unscathed. I ordered mine by email from ZGC and it arrived in a day and a half (to Canada).

Dylan Couper September 20th, 2002 11:48 PM

I'll fourth the Porta-Brace. I'm a cheap b*st*rd (of Scottish descent), and even *I* think it's worth the money!

Phil, how much did yours come to after shipping and taxes?

Ed Frazier September 21st, 2002 07:17 AM

I also use the PortaBrace Slicker (MA200 version) and am quite happy with it. It is on the camera more than it's off, mainly to protect the camera from dust rather than rain and it serves that purpose fairly well.

The only problem I have with it is the necessity to remove the mic and eyepiece when installing and removing the cover. Others may not do it that way, but I find it necessary. It is difficult to attach and remove the mic with the cover on because of the tight fit in that area. Fortunately I'm almost always using external mics through the MA200 so in those instances just leave the onboard mic off, but that leaves another opening for dust to get inside.

Phil French September 21st, 2002 10:48 AM

In reply to Dylan's question, I paid $175 (for the MA-200 compatible version) plus $37 for shipping (Fed Ex). I believe these were in American dollars - so do the math (that's always the killer in Canada). I was only able to find one place in Canada that would order it for me. It would have taken weeks and cost almost the same price after conversion and shipping.

Steve Pope September 26th, 2002 03:46 PM

Thanks...>

I guess it's unanimous...I'm glad I didn't go ahead and get the KATA gear...This might be the first post where all of the respondents agreed...Thank you all for your time...

Dylan Couper September 26th, 2002 04:25 PM

Nothing wrong with the Kata cover either. I'm not sure what the price difference is between the two, but if it's at all close, I'd go with the Porta Brace. It seemed sturdier/better made to me. Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Dylan Couper September 28th, 2002 11:10 AM

WHoa!
I just checked out the price for the Kata cover, it's almost half the price of the Porta Brace cover. I expected them to be somewhat similar, but I was way wrong. The PB is around $200 ($175 at ZGC), where the Kata can be found for $100. The PB cover is nicer (imho) but I'm not sure if it's worth double the price.

Ken Tanaka September 28th, 2002 11:28 AM

Dylan,
Where YOU live it probably is worth double the price <g>. Seriously, though, the craftsmanship and generally higher quality of the PB slicker would be worth it for someone who expected to use it heavily in a wet climate. The Kata would be fine for an occasional user.

Dylan Couper September 28th, 2002 03:55 PM

I dunno what you are talking about Ken. It never rains HERE. Heh heh heh...
Heck, maybe Vancouverites should invest in one of those Eva-Marine submersible bags for casual use. :)

Mike Butler October 9th, 2002 07:05 PM

MATH is always the killer in Canada???
:-)
(sorry, Phil!)
But seriously folks, this is how it has worked with me with Porta Brace...you grit your teeth real hard when shelling out the money to buy it, and have a smile on your face every day thereafter.

Plus when you show up with your gear swaddled in PB, they know you mean business. I have even had stewardesses (ooops, flight attendants I mean) give a knowing smile when I show up aboard with a PB bag, they ask me who I'm shooting for, etc. cuz they've seen all the network boys carry their Betacams in PB rags.

I have never regretted having "too good" quality in any of my gear.

John Fitzpatrick October 21st, 2002 05:38 PM

How does the Porta Brace rain slicker work out with a camera loaded down with assorted gadgets. My XL1 uses a Lightwave system isolater with a ME66 shotgun mounted on it along with one of their windscreens. Add a battery pack, XLR adapter and a wireless receiver and you have a lot of stuff sticking out in all sorts of weird shapes.
I was also looking at their quickdraw cases with the same concern as their website fails to give any inside dimensions.

Fitz