wide angle lens user in Derbyshire area at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old January 13th, 2005, 07:44 AM   #1
Regular Crew

wide angle lens user in Derbyshire area

Are there any users of a wide angle lens adapter in the Derbyshire area of the UK who could let me have a look and try a couple of minutes of footage, either on your camera or mine with and without the wide angle adapter.

I am looking at buying one for this seasons weddings but am unsure at which one to buy.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.
Carl Walters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2005, 04:15 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Not Derbyshire, but Essex. I am a wide-angle lens freak though, Carl, and have about 6 or 7 of them at the last count.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2005, 04:27 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Tom,

I took the plunge as I posted this thread sometime ago, I bought a 0.5x converter it only came last week. I've not had chance to try it out properley yet, just a mess around but I like what i've seen so far.

6 or 7? What sizes do you use and what is your main use for them?
Carl Walters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2005, 04:48 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I'm a freelance man Carl - doing weddings and events and writing for magazines. I have a VX2000 and an MX300 Panasonic, and have a variety of converters - zoom-throughs, single elements, aspherics and fisheyes.

What make and model of 0.5X did you buy? Let me know what you think of it.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2005, 07:58 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Tom,

The one I bought is a Digital Optics Professional series 0.5x converter. Made in Japan.
I ordered it from USA at a considerable amount cheaper than it's available for over here. It doesn't appear to be bad at all, it works at full wide angle settings on the XL1-s without any darkening of the edge of the picture. It does lose a little clarity towards the edges on full zoom, but I didn't plan using it on full zoom, it's mainly for indoor shots and the odd low down wide angle outdoor shot.
Carl
Carl Walters is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog