XL-1 audio at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old November 21st, 2001, 04:50 PM   #1
Major Player

XL-1 audio

Can anyone explain the practical difference between the three audio modes on the XL-1. I know that the 16-bit setting gives the "best" audio, and the 12-bit settings allow dubbing into the tape. If you're taping outdoors, and adding sound on the computer, those options don't really make a lot of difference, do they? Is it true that it is difficult to edit together footage shot in 12-bit (32Khz) and that shot in 16-bit (48Khz)?

Thanks,

Steve Siegel
Steve Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2001, 06:26 PM   #2
Wrangler

16-bit allows wider frequency response (on the order of 22kHz compared to 15kHz for the 12-bit mode - if your mics/source are that good. Also, the 12-bit mode invlves some compression, so 16-bit should have a bit less distortion.

As for editing, 16-bit/48 kHz is more convenient if your sound card supports it (some cheap cards do not). In anycase upsampling/conversion will add minimal effort. Some capture software will upsample for you.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2001, 08:39 PM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

Be sure to read "Introduction to XL1 Audio" -- With basic explanations, XL1 shooters Jon Burkhart and Don Palomaki describe some introductory aspects of this camera's complex audio handling capabilities and their practical applications.

Go the XL1 Watchdog and choose Articles Menu > Microphones & Audio. See also an XL1 FAQ at http://www.dvinfo.net/xl1faq.htm Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2001, 07:28 AM   #4
pjssssss

I second the advice about reading the info on Chris' website about the audio. Good article.

Practically speaking you will use the 16 bit setting most of the time on single source recordings. If you want to record more sources at once (i.e. different microphones on different subjects) you will use the 12 stereo 1 & 2 mode. If you are confused with that email me and I will give you a quick rundown on how to set it up and use it.
Old June 22nd, 2004, 07:40 PM   #5
New Boot

Maybe a stupid question but I red the watchdog article and searched the forum and I'm not sure yet:

I have to record outdoors and later I will add music and a comment, with Final Cut Pro.

Can I set the audio to 16 bit, for best quality?
Or I have to stay at 12 bit because later I will add two further audio channels (music + comment).

I think the 12 bit is useful only if you want to record more than one source AT ONCE, isn't it?

And, if I set audio to 16 bit, and then add a music channel and another audio channel, the final footage can be transferred to tape?
Stefano Archetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2004, 04:22 AM   #6
Wrangler

If you will be editing on a PC or other non-linear editing system rather than just adding the additional audio to the tape later without other editing, you can use 16-bit mode and add the audio in post production on you NLE.

With the XL1 family, 12-bit mode is best used whey you have more than 2 audio channel. I suspect that it is present in other camcorders mainly as a hold over before NLE became widely affordable and provided a way to add additional audio to previously recorded material..
Old June 30th, 2004, 09:30 AM   #7
Major Player

I believe it's part of the DV spec.

A.J.
A. J. deLange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2004, 04:31 AM   #8
Major Player

The technical aspects mentioned previously are all certainly with merit. The underlying theme that emerges is repeated and I will do the same again. NLE is where the composition begins.
12 bit audio is like digital zoom. Avoid. If you really need a syncronous second audio track, take along a second camera and treat it like camera unit 2. Sync it later in post. The pitfalls of unbalanced audio in 12 bit mode does allow for a monitor track, but not a clean result.
Jimmy McKenzie is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog