XL1/Scan converter/Live switcher HELP! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old November 21st, 2001, 06:10 PM   #1
Garynycyo

XL1/Scan converter/Live switcher HELP!

Hi all;

I have an interesting question. I want to use my XL1 in a presentation environment in which a speaker will be at a podium. The client needs both the speaker and his Powerpoint presentation to be recorded. I am probably going to buy a scan converter and inexpensive switcher to be able to change from the PC's signal to the recorded XL-1 image and visa versa. Problem is, I don't have a seperate record deck. Is it possible to send the NTSC converted signal from the PC via the switcher directly back into the XL-1 using the video input jack, and have the XL1 automatically sense the video input feed? If not, I will probably have to pick up a record deck...ANY suggestions would be greatly anticipated!
Gary
Old November 22nd, 2001, 01:23 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Howdy from Texas,

I understand what you want to do, but unfortunately this is an impossible task for any DV camcorder. The XL1 and other cameras will indeed accept an analog or digital video input, but only when they are switched to VCR (not camera) mode.

There is no way to automatically switch from camera mode to VCR mode with these cameras. You must physically do it yourself, moving the switch from "camera" through "off" to "VCR." During a live presentation, this method will probably not suffice for your purposes.

You'll need a mixer or a switcher, plus a separate DV deck. Actually another DV camcorder such as an inexpensive Canon ZR20 (or similar) will work as the deck, if switched to VCR mode.

Not the answer you wanted to hear.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2001, 10:02 AM   #3
Garynycyo

RE:XL1/Scan converter/Live switcher HELP!

Hi CHris;

Thats exectly what I thought after I sent out the postin--"only in VCR mode"...a big "DUH" from this side. Using a second camcorder as the record deck is a very interesting option! It would save me 1200.00 instead of buying one of those nice little SONY DV VCRs.

Thanks for the help!

Gary
Old November 22nd, 2001, 02:36 PM   #4
DIGIXLDV

But if you buy a dv camcorder to use as a dv vcr, you wont be able to get more than 80 min. recording time with the same tape.In a live presentation you might have no time to change tapes without maybe losing some important point..If it is less than 80 min. you good to go.

Also,

Chris you mentioned about these dv cameras(incluinding the xl1) have analog or digital input only in vcr mode.But the xl1 has no input at all .(right?)

Stay tune!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog