DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   Optex .5x and .7x zoomthrough converter set (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/3807-optex-5x-7x-zoomthrough-converter-set.html)

Josh Bass September 20th, 2002 11:51 PM

Optex .5x and .7x zoomthrough converter set

ZGC has listed on their site a set of two separate pieces of glass by Optex, a .5x and .7x wide angle zoom through set. These can be bought together or separately, though the .7x is the only one usable by itself, claiming to givce 30% more coverage than the standard 16x lens -- 50% with both pieces of glass together.

I was wondering if anyone has used these (or just one of them). It looks like a good deal, and I would like to get them if I know they're okay (no distortion and such), as I could put the whole thing on the end of my manual 16x lens, and have the best of a wide angle lens and a zoom lens (ZGC's site claims that you get 10x zoom).

Also, if that's a picture of these two converters on the site right next to the description, it looks like it comes with a very . . .uh . . .shallow lens hood. Or is that something else?

Francisco R. S. September 30th, 2002 05:11 PM

.6x lens

Hi Josh. I have the Century Precision optics .6x wide angle lens for the Canon XL1S and it seems to work fairly well. There is a significant additional coverage for the standard Canon lens. For the price (which I got at GZC) you can't go wrong, unless you spend $1200 appx. for the Canon 3x wide lens. Only problem with the Century lenses are that you have to get new filters if you already have them for the Canon lens. The Century lens has a front thread of 86.5mm and the Xl1S has a front thread of 72mm. The only way to get filters on the Century lens is to buy a shadehood that has optional slots for filters which can add up to more money. Anyway, check out the prices on the Century lens but if you aren't going to use filters for the Century lens you are okay. But if you want filters you are going to spend up to $1000 dollars if you get Century lens plus shadehood, or sunshade, plus filters or if you get Canon 3x wide plus filters you will still spend up to and over $1000. I had to go through the same dilemma. I think when I get some spending money I will get the 3x wide Canon lens because I already have many filters for the standard Canon lens.

Josh Bass September 30th, 2002 09:58 PM

Is it zoom-through? What's the zoom range if so? Do you know the exact specifications of the additional coverage?

The main things I don't like about the 3x lens are that it doesn't have the calibrated zoom or focus, and it's zoom range is only 3x.

Rik Sanchez October 1st, 2002 12:38 AM

Josh,
here's a link with the specs on the century lens:

http://www.johnbarry.com.au/century/prodv_series/prodv_fitspec.html

I have the .7X wide and the fisheye from Century. I use them on my XL-1 with the standard 16X lens. Nice adapters, the .7X is heavy though, but I'm used to the weight now, I leave that adapter on all the time now.

It's great having that extra width when shooting. and the only thing which is a small hassle, when I want to put on the fisheye, I have to take off the .7X and then put on the fisheye, with the Optex ones you just put one on top of the other, that seems like more hassle free.

Although if you had the 3X lens and then put on the century fisheye, you would get some wild fisheye distortion footage, I
only have the 16X lens so I get a little of the fisheye look, but it's still pretty wide.

Next purchase will be a filter to protect the adapters.

I especially like the full zoom through with the .7X although I haven't done a full test, if I want a little more zoom up capability I'll take off the adapter, but usually I'm always shooting indoors so I stay more at the wide settings, can't wait to shoot with the fisheye. Hope this info helps.

Josh Bass October 1st, 2002 03:43 AM

There's a .7x from Century? The guy before you mentioned a .6x.

Rik Sanchez October 1st, 2002 03:49 AM

the .7X has full zoom capability and the .6X has partial zoom. I think it's about $800. It was given to me so I don't know how much it really was. I got the fisheye for $460 from ZGC.

Josh Bass October 1st, 2002 03:53 AM

Okay. . .I checked out that link, and even with the specs I'm still confused as to how to find out the increase in coverage. Is there some simple formula that lets you end up with a percentage increase or something?

Rik Sanchez October 1st, 2002 04:00 AM

the standard lens gives a 46 degree shot, the .7X lens gives a 62 degree, the .6X a 70 degree and the fisheye a 83 degree.

Francisco R. S. October 1st, 2002 06:55 AM

chorizosmells is right about the .7x is full zoom and the .6x is partiaal zoom. To spit out some literature thatyou can read on the Century Precision Optics website "the .7x gives you 30% more coverage" while "the .6x gives you 40% more coverage". I opted to get more coverage so I got the .6x but sacrified for partial zoom but filming indie movies I rarely zoom. I truck and doly the camera, it's more of a movie making setup if that makes sense. Zooming should be saved for weddings and cheesy soap operas. But if full zooming is what you need then opt for the .7x.
Oh, and the .6x is $358 plus tax(If you are in Jersey) So you can see why I got this lens right now because later on I will get the 3x lens to add to the arsenal, but for the price it is good. But be warned, you have to get a sunshade that can hold filters if you want to use this Century lens. This .6x is made specifically made for the Xl1 and Xl1S. For the price you can't go wrong. Oh, I got the lens from Chris at GZC. They are great.

Josh Bass October 1st, 2002 11:37 AM

Two things: You're telling me that whenever I see what appears to be a zoom in a film, it's a dolly?

Also, do these lenses cause distortion?

For the .6x, it says "partial zoom (8x) in autofocus only" I don't use auto focus much. Does that mean it wont' zoom?

Also, are these compatible with the manual 16x lens?

Francisco R. S. October 1st, 2002 04:39 PM

hi Josh
No not all are dolly in. It's just many filmmakers I know use this technique. We try to get as close to a "Hollywood" style as posible. It keeps us in that frame of mind. Music videos use mainly all dolly in and out but they also have those tens of thousands of dollar jibs. But it is a preference how you get close to the talent. I just don't like the look of zooming. If I want to get close to the talent, say if they are saying dialogue and it is a very critical part in the movie, a nice subtle slow dolly in makes the audience feel drawn to what the actor/actress has to say. It's kinda like an illusion, a camera technique. But by no means is zooming not allowed. I mean look at the movie I Am Sam with Sean Penn. That movie has tons of quick zooms from the camera. And it looks good. It just my preference and experience to use dollys when I can. Some people may differ but that's cool. We all have our techniques. I just don't like that zoom soap opera look.
As far as the partial zoom on the .6x lens, yes you can zoom. I tried it with the autozoom off and it still has zooming capabilites. You still get partial zoom. It is compatible with the standard lens. In fact it is made for the Xl1 and Xl1S. It attaches via bayonet, where the sunhood attaches to. Hope this helps.

Josh Bass October 1st, 2002 07:13 PM

Okay now I'm confused again "even with the autozoom off?" Do you mean the auto focus?

If it's compatible with the standard lens, does that mean it's also compatible with the manual 16x?

Francisco R. S. October 1st, 2002 07:27 PM

oops. I meant autofocus not autozoom, sorry. I assume it should work with the manual with partial zom as well. I haven't used it on the manual lens so I can't be sure. If you want to find more info on the .6x Century Precision Optics, you should contact Chris at GZC 973-335-4460. She has plenty of info. Tell here Raul at ARSIES Productions referred you. I just bought a lens from her within the last week so she knows what I was going thru as far as looking for this .6x lens. Sometimes to find out some answers you should go to the source as well. Good luck.

Rik Sanchez October 1st, 2002 07:38 PM

Century has adapters for all the canon lenses. I also got my fisheye from Chris, great service from her. It took about a week from when I ordered it to get it sent to me in Japan. Tell her Rik from Japan says hi.

Josh Bass October 2nd, 2002 12:16 AM

Will do, gentlemen. It seems like if I have to buy a sunshade to use the century lens, I might just go with my original plan, as it will come out around the same. I will see.