DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   Sennheiser SKP100-J & EK100-J (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/3826-sennheiser-skp100-j-ek100-j.html)

John Locke September 22nd, 2002 02:11 AM

Sennheiser SKP100-J & EK100-J

I just searched the forums and was surprised not to find anything about the SKP100-J transmitter. I'm thinking about buying it to attach to the end of a boom mic, to communicate wirelessly with an EK100-J. Has anyone ever tried that particular setup? Any thoughts on it? Seems like a great "economical" way to feed audio direct to the camera without the hassles of cables.

Nathan Gifford September 22nd, 2002 09:01 AM

Isn't that an Evolution 100 Series?

I think that is an Evolution 100 series system. I do not see why you cannot do that, but it will depend on the mic you are using. That series does not have phantom power, or support XLR directly.

P.S. I would give you more details, but I could not find my book.

John Locke September 22nd, 2002 06:39 PM

You're right, Nathan...it's the Evolution series. The mic I'd be using is the Audio-Technica AT815b which does have phantom power. And it's possible to use a jack-to-XLR adapter.

So, since the setup is Sennheiser,
and since it does have phantom power,
and since an XLR adaptor is available,
and no cables would be required...

it all just seems too good to be true almost. But since no one has mentioned this setup, I'm guessing that I've missed something here...and that there's some reason why people aren't doing it this way.

Nathan Gifford September 22nd, 2002 07:10 PM

There really isn't any reason you cannot use one. I think maybe a number of people are probably running the system into a mixer or using MA200 or 400.

The big thing was resolving the Evolution's lack of phantom power.

Ed Smith October 4th, 2002 09:48 AM

I use the exact system you are mentioning. Its fantastic, really good quality sound, hard to believe for a wireless system.

I bought with the intention to use on a boom pole, but becuase I ran out of money I was unable to buy the correct microphone for the situation.

So far I have attached a normal handheld vocal mic (cost £15) to it and it performace out standingly.

I also have attached it to the MA200 adapter via an 3.5mm to XLR adapter, and again performace remarkably well.

This is a well recommended item.

Hope this helps,

Ed Smith

Phil French October 11th, 2002 08:34 PM

I use my E100 series (model ew122-p) either with the included lavalier mic or my Audio Technica AT835b (using 1/8 to XLR adaptors). I believe this is a similiar setup to the one you are talking about.
The 835b can operate on one AA battery instead of phantom power. I believe the 835 is a step down from the 815, but it seems to work very well with the wireless setup. I use it to capture bird song and other nature sounds such as a hummingbird's wing noise. The wireless tx/rx is also handy when I video birds at our feeders through our window with the mic setup on a boom stand outside.(It's also a lot warmer in our livingroom during winter!) and also when we are trudging through the woods.

John Locke October 13th, 2002 12:52 AM

Thanks for the input!

I went ahead and got the SPK-100J to go along with the standard 100 series transmitter and receiver. Combined with the Light Wave 5-section boom pole and mini-mount...works great!

Don Parrish October 16th, 2002 07:28 AM

I use an electrovoice mic with mine, tried a test of walking around a metal building in and out to see if I would get any problems. The SKP 100 was rock solid on both obstructions and distance.