DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   Compare beta sp footage to Xl1s footage? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/3833-compare-beta-sp-footage-xl1s-footage.html)

dvmonkey2 September 22nd, 2002 10:02 AM

Compare beta sp footage to Xl1s footage?

Is it the same? If i wanted to shoot a local tv commercial for a car dealership, would the footage be egual to that of a beat sp camera? Has anyone ever looked at the 2 footages?

Ken Tanaka September 22nd, 2002 11:30 AM

The tape format will not represent the difference in "look" per se; the quality of cameras might. The XL1s can certainly do a good job with such an assignment. But, viewed side-by-side, the capabilities and resolution of a professional Sony camera with a 1/2" CCD block would be apparent.

But what really tends to say "amateur footage" even more than the camera quality is framing and movement. Pros develop a good skill for framing their shots well (rule of 3rds, etc.) and they move the camera with more precision. Also, a heavier camera (12-15lbs) makes for a steadier handheld shot.

But before taking this assignment check with your whole post-production and delivery chain to see what they're going to need.

Jeff Donald September 22nd, 2002 07:03 PM

I've shot hours and hours of Beta SP. The look is close enough that under the right light (not too contrasty) they can intermix pretty well. The 1/2 and 2/3 inch cameras have a big edge in contrast. I still have a BVW-35 portable deck that I dust off to edit with or make Beta dupes. I don't think you'll have a problem as long as attention is paid to lighting. It is easy to loose the highlights with DV and cars have plenty of chrome and glass to give you fits. Close-ups work better also.
Beta will hold up better on wide shots, so try to avoid wide shots and use CU's.

Jeff

dvmonkey2 September 23rd, 2002 02:39 PM

generation

When transfering from minidv format to betasp do you lose a generation?

Jeff Donald September 23rd, 2002 05:10 PM

Yes, going from mini Dv to Betacam goes down a generation. The loss is not very noticeable in my opinion. The loss is in detail, edges and shadows. I do not notice a loss in color. These observations are subjective (visual impressions) not objective analysis of comparisons on a scope.

Jeff

John Klein September 24th, 2002 07:16 PM

I'd like to point out that Jeff's description about more exp. cams having a "big edge" in contrast. I think what he means to say is a less contrasty/better image, as DV is the image with edginess.

Jeff Donald September 24th, 2002 09:12 PM

I didn't notice the confusing verbage and yes you are correct. Cameras with 1/2 or 2/3 inch chips (frequently Betacam SP and better) are able to handle high contrast scenes better. What's better? The image will have more detail in shadows before going black with no detail and highlights will have some detail before going white with no detail. Contrast.

Jeff