DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   Reversed polarity on XL1 power adapter (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/3847-reversed-polarity-xl1-power-adapter.html)

Spirit Lead September 22nd, 2002 11:41 PM

Reversed polarity on XL1 power adapter

Am I sunk?

One of my camera operators connected the extension cable to my XL1 power supply adapter incorrectly there by reversing the polarity (I know thats what I get for being in a hurry and using a cheap non polorized connector).

I was hoping it was the charger/ supply but when I put a good battery in the camera I still got zip!

Is the camera protected by an internal fuse or breaker?
If it is I can take care of it since the supply modification was my own doing and it is out of warranty any how.
I've got a wedding to do in a week and need to have it fixed.

Thanks for any help,
Joel

Edward Tune September 23rd, 2002 12:01 AM

pwr pblms

Good electrical engineering practice dictates that a diode be placed across the incoming power line on most electronic devices. It is probably quick and easy to fix unless they require a whole circuit board replacement. (notice the word 'cheap' was not used in the above sentence.)

That is the good news. Sometimes the diode will protect the circuitry after it... and sometimes not.... read that as more expensive.

I would not but any more battery backs on that guy until he is checked out. If the diode is blown (which it does in the process of trying to protect the equipment) it may be doing a rather quick drain on the batteries which is not too good for them.

Don Palomaki September 23rd, 2002 05:30 AM

There are three fuses inside the XL1, not user accessible. With any luck the blew fast enough to protect the rest of the camcorder.

Nathan Gifford September 23rd, 2002 07:55 AM

Hopefully, you only fried the fuses which is probably still not cheap but better than replacing lots of the electronics.

You might try a call the XL-1 User's Club before trying this. Try removing all the batteries, including the button cell in the handle. Then leave the creature alone for 24 hours. Then reload the main battery one more time and see if it powers up.

BTW, are you sure your battery is good? If the charger is fried and the battery old, it could just be discharged. See if you can borrow meter and check the batts and charger.

Spirit Lead September 24th, 2002 06:08 PM

I opened up the camera body and found out that all three fuses are open (blown). Fortunately there is a sticker with the fuse manufacturer and part number. I'm going to try and get replacements. Hopefully thats all I need.

As far as the battery being bad or the charger blown, I had already checked that. I wish that had been the problem as I have spares on hand.

Thanks all for your replies,
Joel