Anybody lose an XL1 recently? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old September 11th, 2009, 02:58 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Anybody lose an XL1 recently?

Went to my local skatepark to film some clips yesterday, and... somebody left their XL1 there the day before. Luckily for them, the place is staffed (unlike every other skatepark within an hour's drive of here), and it was placed into a locked storage unit, but... wow.

I also have to wonder who's filming amateur skateboarders with a camera like that...
Chris McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2009, 03:31 PM   #2
Wrangler

FWIW: the XL1 was discontinued a long time ago, they still work and can produce good SD video, but are available used at bargain prices these days.

Canon may be able to identify the last registered owner from the serial number. However, given the age, it may have changed hands since then.
Old September 11th, 2009, 10:04 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Palomaki View Post
FWIW: the XL1 was discontinued a long time ago, they still work and can produce good SD video, but are available used at bargain prices these days.
I meant more from a "that thing is huge in comparison to the VX/FX/DVX/HPX/HMC cameras usually used for filming skateboarding" sense.
Old September 13th, 2009, 05:27 AM   #4
Wrangler

As I recall, the GL series was popular for Skateboard shooting. Today i suspect HD of some form rules.

Short of shooting from a board itself, the XL1 should do OK. However the smaller CCDs of many other camcorder may result is more shots remaining in acceptable focus thanks to the larger depth of field.

I wonder to what extent the skateboard camcorder preference was driven by cost rather than technical issues.
Old September 13th, 2009, 09:17 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Palomaki View Post
As I recall, the GL series was popular for Skateboard shooting. Today i suspect HD of some form rules.
Actually, the VX1000 is still the most widely used amongst pro filmers, although the HPX/HVX has been gaining in popularity.
Old September 14th, 2009, 04:28 AM   #6
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris McMahon View Post
Actually, the VX1000 is still the most widely used amongst pro filmers, although the HPX/HVX has been gaining in popularity.
Interesting considering how long in the tooth the VX1000 is.
Old September 14th, 2009, 10:53 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Yeah. I used one up until a few months ago, when I replaced it with a FX7 as an interim until I can go for a HMC150 or HPX170. The main reason behind it is that it has a wider field of view than anything else on the market when matched with a Century MkI fisheye.

So easy a caveman could film it?
Old September 17th, 2009, 07:20 AM   #8
Wrangler

Yeah, it is amazing how long the VX1000 remains popular. Its even harder to believe that we have some processes running on a DEC PDP8 and a Modcomp Classic III (both have been work almost 30 years!)

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog