DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   Dust protection for XL1s (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/4004-dust-protection-xl1s.html)

Didi Schoeman September 30th, 2002 02:56 PM

Dust protection for XL1s

Hi everybody.
This is the first time I'm using this forum, I normally get all my answers reading trough the various posts, but I finally got stuck with a question that I hope somebody would have an answer to.

I run around in the African Bush with my XL1s and have serious problems with dust. I clean the camera every day but still have problems with drop out due to dust getting into the camera which can not be a good thing for the video heads...

My question is: Does anybody know of a "Dust cover" for the XL1s? I need to do something to protect it and I dont know weather there is something on the market to do just that. The only idea I have at this point is buying a rain-cover, but I dont know how effective it would be against dust.

I am up for ANY advice!!!

Thanks for a great forum, I think it is awesome!

Didi Schoeman

Jeff Donald September 30th, 2002 07:14 PM

How do you travel and shoot with your camera now? On an average how many hours (or tapes) do you go through in a day? The obvious answer is a waterproof enclosure, but they aren't practical for the type of shooting you do. I guess I would try traveling with a large plastic bag around the camera tightly sealed. If additional sealing was needed I would try taping the door shut with good gaffers tape (not duct tape). The later is extreme, but if your losing important footage to drop outs it might be worth it.

Jeff

Didi Schoeman October 1st, 2002 03:29 PM

Thanks for the advice Jeff

I've been using a pillow case... plastic bag doesnt sound bad either... but somhow I feel there must be a better sullution out there.

I have thought about gaffer tape, its just not ideal if you have to switch tapes quikly and it does not protect the rest of the camera. I shoot between 2 and 4 tapes a day on a hectic day.

I thought about buying a Porta-Brace which I think might help...

Thanks for the advice though, I really appreciate it!

Didi

Dylan Couper October 1st, 2002 06:08 PM

From what I've been told, the Porta-Brance rain slicker also works as a super effective dust jacket. Please let us know which solution you end up with and how it works out.

Didi Schoeman October 3rd, 2002 04:07 PM

I have decided to opt for the Porta Brace rain coat and will give an update on this site as soon as I've used it out in the field. Thanks for all the advice, it sure makes decisions a lot easier!!!

Didi

Andrew Petrie October 3rd, 2002 06:33 PM

I use my Portabrace Rain slicker for this purpose too. It's a solid, well made protective cover for any conditions above 0 degrees.

Didi Schoeman October 6th, 2002 05:11 AM

Thanks for the info Andrew... if it works for you it should work for me!!!

Didi

Andrew Petrie October 6th, 2002 08:31 AM

No problem, It's certainly one accessory I'd never do without. Infact whenever I'm outside now, I use the slicker. There's so much junk around (sand/dust, and leaves being the top most annoying ones this time of year) and it keeps the camera safe from any out-of-the-blue mishaps involving water :)

Ewald Hayward January 3rd, 2003 01:49 PM

Hi Didi
I would appreciate if you could contact me directly.
Ewald Hayward
www.intovideo.co.za

Jeff Donald January 3rd, 2003 02:58 PM

Ewald,

You might try contacting her through her web site http://www.proafrica.tv

Jeff

Andrew Leigh January 3rd, 2003 10:59 PM

Hi Jeff,

have spoken to Didi who is a HIM rather than a her.

Cheers
Andrew

Didi Schoeman January 10th, 2003 01:00 PM

Hi Ewald

I've e-mailed you my contact information, you could either phone me or use the e-mail address to get hold of me.

To everyone else, Happy new year, hope this is a good one for all of us!!!

Didi