monochrome viewfider for XL2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old February 25th, 2005, 08:17 PM   #1
New Boot

monochrome viewfider for XL2

I've been using an XL1 (ever since they came out) with a Canon monochrome CRT viewfinder (FU-1000). I just stepped up to the XL2 and I thought I could use the same finder. The battery attachment doesn't fit with the door that covers the audio terminals. If you stretch the door out of the way you can't possibly plug anything into those RCA terminals when the viewfinder batter holder is in place. The cables going from the battery holder are too short to reach the front of the camera and the plugs aren't right. Does anyone know what's up? Have they modified the viewfinder without upgrading the numbers (because it still lists the FU-1000 as an accessory). Mine viewfinder has a manufacture date of Feb 2000. Is there an adapter of some kind or am I just missing something?

Also (speaking of adapters)...does anyone know of an adapter for an Audiotechnica AT835ST stereo mic to fit Canon's mic isolation block MM-XL1? The Audiotechnica is way too small of a diameter and right now I have just rolled a quarter roll of electrical tape around the mic to fatten it up. It is effective (and cheap) but I figure someone has to have a better solution that doesn't get all gummy when it gets hot. I can imagine it will be a real mess in a couple of years.

Thanks
Steve Zellers
Steven Zellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2005, 08:30 PM   #2
Wrangler

Steven, I think you will be happy with the solution--you can plug the viewfinder directly into the XL2; the jack is just under the standard viewfinder jack. You don't need the battery adaptor anymore. Nice, huh?
Old February 25th, 2005, 08:53 PM   #3
New Boot

Great! thanx
Steven Zellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2005, 09:12 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

<< Also (speaking of adapters)... >>

That's a separate question; please post it in the XL1/XL1S Microphones and Audio forum. Thanks,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog