DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   Why Are There No Analog Inputs On The Xl-1? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/404-why-there-no-analog-inputs-xl-1-a.html)

David Mcs November 27th, 2001 12:36 AM

Why Are There No Analog Inputs On The Xl-1?

Just wondering why there are no analog input jacks on the xl-1?? I understand the GL-1 has them and the higher end
Sonys have them too. Is there a technical reason?? And I assume there is no other way to transfer VHS footage to DV using the Xl-1 ??

Chris Hurd November 27th, 2001 12:57 AM

Howdy from Texas,

It's not a technical thing. It was a political thing.

The XL1 was designed in 1997. The political atmosphere at that time was, "ooooh, DV is evil, good people will become bad and copy pre-recorded tapes... it spells doom for the industry... better cripple its ability to record." Apparantly the feelings at that time were, if you had a DV camcorder, you were going to pirate the entire VHS inventory at your local Blockbuster. This is why most DV camcorders of that age, including the battleship Sony VX-1000, were all "neutered," as they say, unable to record via analog video inputs.

The industry gathered its wits in 1998 and that's why the GL1 (and camcorders ever since) appeared with analog video inputs.

Doesn't make much sense, does it? Heh, consider 1995-1997 as the formative years of DV and just... look the other way... and hang your head in disgust. At least this trend was short lived.

And to answer your next question -- NO! There is no way to "modify" an XL1 to enable analog video in. At least, not that I'm aware of. Hope this helps,

David Mcs November 27th, 2001 01:07 AM

Chris: Thanks for the quick reply. I just signed on as a user tonight. I LOVE your forums and truly appreciate having your expertise to turn to for questions. I've been an actor for 15 years and am now trying to shoot my own DV feature. I bought the xl-1 and am loving it but the first thing I wanted to do was transfer all my old acting footage to DV so I could make my own demo tape on my MAC instead of paying a retail video editor. I ended up using a friends' Sony and it worked out fine.

Thanks again for the detailed answer and take it easy.

Chris Hurd November 27th, 2001 01:13 AM

Thanks for your kind remarks, David,

A little one-chip Sony camcorder will do fine for archiving your video, and you're in a good position with a Mac and a copy of iMovie... best of luck and hope to see you here on the Community boards.

Don Palomaki November 27th, 2001 06:59 PM

Speaking of archiving, has any new information come to light as to the reliable storage life of MiniDV recordings?

Joe Redifer November 28th, 2001 02:14 AM

To answer David's question a little more, you can get a DV Hardware Codec Converter from Sony for a few hundred dollars. They convert any incoming analog video (S-Video or Composite) into firewire which then happily goes into your XL1 and is recorded just fine. I was able to pirate the ENTIRE VHS collection from Blockbuster using this and I cost the industry about 6 bazillion dollars. (Just Kidding, of course). It also acts as an NTSC converter from firewire if you like. Since my Mac has two external firewire ports, I have the XL1 hooked up to one and the Sony DVMC-DA1 hooked up to the other. I usually just edit with the Sony turned on. Be aware that the unit does have "copy protection" so it won't convert signals encoded with Macrovision or anything like that. You'll be fine converting old tapes that you personally made or using it to time-shift TV programs to your hard drive.

You may be concerned that its made by Sony... don't worry, there are no moving parts so it can't break down.

MrGranger November 28th, 2001 01:17 PM

FYI!

I know you might not want to hear this but the XL-1s does have an analog input. But it's one of the new features that Canon put in the new XL1s that the XL1 does not have.

Mike Butler April 23rd, 2002 06:02 PM

True, but I'm not gonna trade my old-school XL1 for that feature (yes I know the 1s has other improvements).

Right now I'm using a little Elura for the analog inputs, and it works great.