Bad Audio with Sennheiser G2 Wireless at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old March 6th, 2005, 11:27 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Bad Audio with Sennheiser G2 Wireless

Hi Folks,

I hooked up my new G2 wireless receiver to my XL1-s using through the MA-100. While using headphones I tested the setup and found that audio sounded distorted. I was wondering if I needed to attenuate the audio levels into the MA-100? Or am I overdriving the audio levels between the transmitter and the receiver?

My second problem that there is a difference in the sound coming from the audio 1 left and right channels inputs of the camcorder. I used a mic this time hooked up to the MA-100. It is hard to describe, but the left channel seems to loss the highs as opposed the the right. The right channel sounds better. I tried the audio 2 inputs and the audio sounds good. I also swapped the RCA outputs cables of the MA-100 into the audio 1 inputs (left out to right in) but the problem did not follow, so the MA-100 is probably okay.

Any suggestions would be great!!!

Jerome
Jerome Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2005, 08:58 PM   #2
New Boot

I don't have an Xl1s but do have an XL2 with two Sennheiser G2 wireless mics hooked up to it. The G2's come from the factory set to not so great levels. Take a look at this post for how to set them:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=38868

I have my G2 transmitters set to -10db sensitivity (I do mainly interviews) and the receivers set to -30db out, camera audio to manual and the level set to about 60%. This gives me some very, very good audio.

I don't know about your differences between channels though.

Matt
Matt Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2005, 07:47 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Matt for the link. I'll going to try setting up with thoses levels and hopfully that will fix my problemw with the G2.

Jerome
Jerome Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2006, 09:49 PM   #4
New Boot

Hey Jerome, I have been facing some similar problems with my equipment, exactly the same set up like yours: XL1-S and the Sennheiser G2.
But my main problem is that when uploading my video and the wirelessly recorded audio into Final Cut Express, just the videos goes through. The audio is not there. I can hear the audio on the tape when using headphones, but not when footage is uploaded. I used Audio 2. I ended up using iMovie to capture it and, it worked.
Now, the other day I used the camera again and recorded on Channel 1 and never had a problem when uploading it to FCExpress. I tryed again to record on Channel 2 MIX and again, I couldn't upload the audio, just the video.
Have you ever experience something like this?
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Rey
Rey Soares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2006, 09:51 PM   #5
New Boot

Hey Jerome, I have been facing some similar problems with my equipment, exactly the same set up like yours: XL1-S and the Sennheiser G2.
But my main problem is that when uploading my video and the wirelessly recorded audio into Final Cut Express, just the videos goes through. The audio is not there. I can hear the audio on the tape when using headphones, but not when footage is uploaded. I used Audio 2. I ended up using iMovie to capture it and, it worked.
Now, the other day I used the camera again and recorded on Channel 1 and never had a problem when uploading it to FCExpress. I tryed again to record on Channel 2 MIX and again, I couldn't upload the audio, just the video.
Have you ever experienced something like this?
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Rey
Rey Soares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2006, 05:45 AM   #6
Major Player

Have you guys fixed your audio problem with the sennheiser g2's?

What exactly was the problem and how did you fix it?

THANKS

FYI: That includes... Corpus Christi, Galveston, Houston, Beaumont/ Lake Charles, Lafayette, Baton Rouge, New Orleans, Biloxi, Mobile, Penscola, Ft. Walton, Panama City... Any every little city and town in between.

If you need anything, Let's talk...
Brent Marks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2006, 07:36 AM   #7
Major Player

I've had a similar problem. I found that to get even decent levels I had to set the trasmittor to -30db, and even so my camera levels were at 10% or so. I can't believe that's ideal, though.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog