Where to see XL1S Footage? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old October 4th, 2002, 06:49 PM   #1
New Boot

Where to see XL1S Footage?

I'm not talking about "Full Frontal" either.
Been there,done that-I was very dissapointed that Soderbergh
wasn't trying to achieve the "film look" with the XL1S-he basically just treated it like an overly expensive VHS-C cam.

No,I'm talking about footage where someone exploited it to its full potential. Web sites? Videos?Suggestions? They would be highly appreciated!

Thank you!

A.
skyy3838 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2002, 12:12 AM   #2
Trustee

A.,

Here's a clip of mine. Shot on the xl1s in my studio. Download the movie to view it at full size (the mac.com viewer shrinks the video size somewhat).

http://homepage.mac.com/barrygoyette/iMovieTheater1.html

Barry
Barry Goyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2002, 10:22 AM   #3
Wrangler

Hi Barry,

I'm curious to know which lens you used on your camera? Also what filters/pluggins where used in post. I'm sure lots of us could gain much knowledge from eachother.

Thanks- Nori
Nori Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2002, 03:26 PM   #4
Trustee

Nori

Sorry I was out of town for a few days, just catching up on the boards. Here's the rundown:

Canon xl1s..Stock IS-II lens. Manual focus and exposure. -3db gain. No filtration...I've done some color, sharpness and contrast work in FinalCut Pro (see below), but essentially, it was shot straight. Concert footage was white balanced on a yellow kodak film box to make it go blue. I haven't used any special plugins, just standard effects available in FCP.

Here's a description of the main compositing technique I use to control color and contrast.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&postid=25729#post25729

(4th post down from the top)

Barry
Barry Goyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2002, 04:24 PM   #5
_redone_

barry....are you using a PAL XL1-S??? a freind of mine has a PAL, I see the
difference in resoltion between each format..maybe the PAL is sharper or
"cleaner"..due to is higher resolution.
www.eatdrinkmedia.com
Adam Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2002, 05:17 PM   #6
Trustee

Redone

No, I'm using the NTSC version...I don't have any experience with the pal version...so I don't know whether it's sharper or not... my clip is probably a bad way to evaluate this aspect of the camera, as there is quite a bit of post processed blurring and sharpening going on...(not one cut is "straight"), as well as significant compression with sorensen 3..which tends to soften things a bit.

Barry
Barry Goyette is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog